Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

Hi, my knee is tight and stiff and on the outside of my thigh

Hi, my knee is tight and stiff and on the outside of my thigh my skin is very tender like it's bruised but there are no marks. What could this be caused from?

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Since when have you had this problem? Did you have an injury at that time?

Is there any pain in the knee, especially when you climb stairs or are active?

Do you have any bacck pin or any radiating pain down the leg?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No injury to that knee but I have arthritis and a torn meniscus(sp?) in my other knee so it was my thought that I had been favoring my bad knee causing more stress on my right knee. It has been stiff for about 3 or 4 days now. No back pain but my hips are a bit stiff as well. No pain down my leg just up the outside of my thigh like the skin is bruised but no mark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry I forgot to answer about pain when climbing stairs, yes I do, it hurts when I bend my knee.

Thank you for your reply.

It is likely that you have developed osteoarthritis in this knee too leading to the stiffness ans soreness.

But Stiff hips with a feeling of soreness along the outer part of the thigh is commonly seen in a condition known as ITB syndrome - Iliotibial band syndrome. This condition is commonly seen in runners and athletes but can occasionally occur in people who put more strain on the hips or leg due to some cause - in your case, the bad knee on the other leg. ITB syndrome occurs due to overuse.

The standard treatment is rest, icing the outside of teh leg and hip, painkillers and physiotherapy.

Please see your doctor for a checkup.

I hope this helps.