A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

I think I have a problem. ... when my son was few months old

I think I have a problem. ... when my son was few months old he had oral thrush, I didn't know what it was so I Google it and all of this stuff from HIV started to show up, I freaked out, then the doctor told me that it is normal in babIes but I was already paranoid so i got tested fOr hiv and of course it was negative, I thouth that maybe i had it while i was pregnant and gave it to him; anyway after the results i was relieve and happy, but then he touched the blood of a dead mouse by accident and he had a deep cut so now I Was freaking out about him getting hiv that way, I talked to the doctors and they told me that animals don't carry hiv. ... but i don't know why I keep checking his mouth for thrush, even know I don't want to check his mouth for thrush I still do it. ...I to stop doing that and I can't. .... the reason why I'm always checking his mouth fOr thrush is because I know is a sign of hiv, but I want to stop doing that. ...mmmmm please help me and told me What can I do. .. thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

Have you seen a medical provider for your health anxiety? It seems your son is perfectly fine and that the problem is only your own unusual level of anxiety over HIV. As someone who has treated those infected with HIV for years, I can tell you it isn't an easy disease to "catch" as you would a common cold. It requires blood transfer from a person who is infected with HIV. Even sometimes health providers do not get it even when they have confirmed needle sticks from HIV patients.

Constantly checking your son's throat for thrush, even when you don't want to, sounds like a mild form of obsessive compulsive disorder. Your medical provider can refer you for counseling to help you control this obsession.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well since you are a ANP, can you explain to me how come if mice have

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well since you are a ANP, can you explain to me how come if mice have the similar DNA as humans, then why can't they get hiv?

Similar does not mean exactly alike. They cannot get HIV because they don't have the same DNA, only similar.

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! :) I'm ok now, I was just curious now since i read before in thecomputer that they use mice to study hiv, So i didn't understand, that's why i was freaking out :(

No problem :-)

I'm glad you aren't as worried any more. I'm sure the little one is just fine!

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Like I said in not wOrry anymore but I'm curious, how can mice get infected with hiv if you said they can't get it? I just want to learn and I won't bother yOu no more and I will rate your service right after this qUestion to be done with the question.

The mice have their immune systems altered do that their immune systems can become infected with HIV. Normal mice with normal DNA cannot. It is how models of many human diseases are studied when there is no lab animal that can get the same disease.

Schuyler

ξ

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist