kimo31
kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Family Practice resident.
14971955

Hello I had an unprotected sexual intercourse with an escort

Customer Question

Hello
I had an unprotected sexual intercourse with an escort in canada. it was just day before yesterday that i met her. She said she was clean. but since then the fear of getting infected has been bugging me a lot. She was a high cost escort. please help
Category: Health
Expert:  kimo31 replied 1 year ago.

kimo31 :

Hello. I will be helping you with your question today

kimo31 :

First, I will ask a couple of questions - did you notice any lesions or discharge during your experience with this person? Have you noticed any burning, itchiness, lesions or discharge since?

Customer:

no

kimo31 :

Excellent.

kimo31 :

I can understand that this could be an uncomfortable situation to be in. Was there a barrier or other form of protection used?

Customer:

but she had an orgasm when i fingered her

kimo31 :

Was there a barrier used?

Customer:

i had a condom on initially , but lateron she removed it to give a blow job. after which she said she was clean and i could have intercourse with her without the condom as she ran out of it

Customer:

i didnot ejaculate in her

kimo31 :

In this case, I would suggest routine testing with your primary care physician. There doesn't seem to be a need for an emergency room visit, particularly if you remain asymptomatic.

kimo31 :

But I would suggest making an appointment for screening, which will clearly determine if you should receive any treatment.

Customer:

is there a chance of me getting infected

kimo31 :

With any unprotected intercourse, there is a risk.

kimo31 :

Signs to look out for would be fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, penile discharge, redness, itchiness, or rash.

Customer:

i have had nothing as of now

Customer:

so according to this am I at potentially high risk

Customer:

u there ?

kimo31 :

yes

kimo31 :

excellent, I am happy to hear that you are not experiencing any symptoms currently. I do not suggest that you have contracted an illness, but do agree with your statement that there is increased risk of contracting an illness during unprotected intercourse.

kimo31 :

I would suggest, particularly if you are concerned, that you do not have unprotected intercourse again until you have been checked.

Customer:

it was just day before yesterday that I had been with her. will i get any results so soon

Customer:

this was my first sexual encounter ever

kimo31 :

Again, I have no way to predict the chances that you have contracted an illness. I do suggest that your risk is higher with unprotected intercourse

Customer:

what is that I should do now ?

kimo31 :

I suggest making an appointment with your primary care provider to have routine screening.

Customer:

what are the tests that are to be conducted

kimo31 :

that will be up to your provider, typically will test for STIs and HIV

Customer:

i am new to canada and i dont know any one here

kimo31 :

I would suggest an urgent care center in that case. Or establishing as a new patient with a local PCP.

Customer:

okaay

kimo31 :

Are there any further questions that you may have? If you have had all of your questions answered, kindly rate this encounter with positive feedback. If you have any further questions in the future I am happy to assist you! All of the best!

Customer:

also i have read on web that the probability of getting infected is very low

Customer:

around 1 in 1000 cases (unprotected)

kimo31 :

it is low, but the risk is there

Customer:

how true is it ?

kimo31 :

which is why i recommend being tested

Customer:

so u suggest that i should undergo a general routine check up

Customer:

and get tested for HIV and STI

kimo31 :

most typically the screening is negative.

kimo31 :

yes

Customer:

and will this result alter in the future

Customer:

do i need to be worried if the present results are negative ?

kimo31 :

If you have any further questions, please let me know and I will answer them to your satisfaction.

kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience: Family Practice resident.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to know if these results will confirm that I am safe ?

Expert:  kimo31 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, That is exactly what they are used for. screening tests are used to confirm that an infection does not exist. Combined with the fact that you would not be experiencing symptoms, then you would likely be safe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is the possibility that I may have contracted HIV in particular from this single interaction?

Also is there a possibility that if i am diagnosed HIV negative now in this screening, this result may change . I mean will this screening give me a confirmation of my HIV status as well. ?

Expert:  kimo31 replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! I am sorry but I truly can't guess the exact chance of contracting this illness based on one act of unprotected intercourse. One study out of Africa suggests that 1 in every 900 sex acts transmits the HIV virus, but there is increased numbers of hiv there so these chances can't be translate directly. To answer your other question, however, the screening tests will tell you if you have HIV between 98-100% of the time. This means that if it is negative, it is nearly 100% certain that there is no HIV present.

I hope that this answers your question!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I need to go for the rapid test or the general test ( that takes about two weeks for the results to come ) ?

Expert:  kimo31 replied 1 year ago.
rapid screening test would be the one to get. Western Blot is to confirm if there is a positive result on the initial screen. Your provider will know which one to order.

Best!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have taken an appointment for this thursday ( 7 days post exposure) . I shall let you know the result of the screening test. If everything is negative (including HIV)then , there is nothing for me to worry at all rte ?

Expert:  kimo31 replied 1 year ago.
If all of your tests come back negative, then you are correct that those things tested for should not be present and you should not have to worry about them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been reading a lot that even if I undergo DUO-HIV tests at this time (1 week after exposure), the results are not at all confirmatory. I mean the minimum window period to detect HIV antibodies or antigens in blood is minimum 3 months. ( for accurate and reliable results).

But you say that if i undergo a rapid test now, it is almost 98% accurate .

Please help. I am crying everyday thinking about this. please help me

Expert:  kimo31 replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about your anxiety due to this issue. I was very happy to hear that you were feeling well and I would try to focus on that, at this point. My general advice to patients is to not over think possibilities if it is causing you anxiety. That being said, follow the advice that your doctor has given you. When performed, the screening tests are 98% sensitive to detecting the HIV virus, if present. To get to 100%, they may be repeated in the future at your doctors discretion. This may be why he has chosen to wait for 1 month after exposure to check. These tests are done for your safety and health. Unless you have a reason to worry, try not to. I understand that this is easier said than done, but I hope that it brings you some comfort.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you doctor.

As of now I have not seen any symptoms in me. And I have not been to a doctor yet. This information is what I collected from reading articles and stuff on the internet. I have my tests scheduled on Thursday(18th July). I just want to be free of this dreadful fear of getting HIV from one single episode. I have also called that girl back and tried to know if she had any infection . She has given me a very blunt answer saying that she is clean. This is how much I fear getting HIV. I am over stressed with this fear. People say that even if she is HIV positive, me contracting it in one single exposure is very difficult or rather not really possible and I should not even be bothered about HIV in my case. But I am not getting any good reason not to worry and let go the fear. This is why I am troubling you so frequently

Expert:  kimo31 replied 1 year ago.
I understand you completely. Unfortunately, nobody can say for certain either way after risky behavior. The only thing to do is to understand the odds and then to make the decision to test. Only then can we say with more certainty what the odds of having disease are. If there hasn't been exposure to HIV (in the case that the source person does not have the virus) then there is a very unlikely chance of contracting this illness. Again, as you are aware with having prior symptoms, there is no certainty until after testing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had NO symptoms at all. Other than being too worried I donot see any change in me . I have NO rash, NO penile discharge, NO chills or fevers , NO nausea , NO sore throat. No lesions . NOTHING AT ALL. And also I am getting tested this Thursday and hope that everything is negative. I also wish that the HIV tests give me a confirmatory answer. Does me not having any symptoms indicate anything?

Expert:  kimo31 replied 1 year ago.
I really think that no news is always good news, but being asymptomatic truly does not indicate one way or another in this situation. Again, look to your provider for advice and take what you have learned about testing with you on Thursday. Before then, I recommend not stressing yourself any further.