kimo31
kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Family Practice resident.

I hit my elbow hard ont he head board while sleeping. the next

I hit my elbow hard ont he head board while sleeping. the next morning found some swelling as well as some pain. that evening placed icy hot patch over it. was able to sleep ok but still swelled. should I use hot or cold treatment. I am also working out of state away from my doctor
Category: Health
Expert:  kimo31 replied 1 year ago.

kimo31 : Hello. I will assist you with your question today.
kimo31 : first I will need to ask a few questions
kimo31 : have you had any numbness and tingling in your hand? Can you move your elbow fully, even if it is uncomfortable?
kimo31 : As I see you are now offline, with no mention of anything that sounds at this time urgent enough for you to have to go to an emergency room, I would suggest ice and rest for your elbow. Ibuprofen may help with the discomfort if you have never been told that you shouldn't take this medication. If it continues to bother you, you may be able to find relief by wrapping it or using a brace from the local drug store
kimo31 : If you have any further questions, please only ask and I will be happy to assist. I wanted to address your question up front, but if you are still not fully satisfied I will happily answer your question on your return. If you have no further question, please rate this response with positive feedback to credit my time in answering this for you.
kimo31 : HelloCustomer/span>
<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

do you have an opinion

kimo31 : Are you having any numbness or weakness in the arm below the elbow? Can you move it fully in for ion and extension?
kimo31 : Hello againCustomer Are you able to view my responses?
Customer:

yes I am now

kimo31 : Excellent I'm happy to hear that
Customer:

So what do you think about the icy hot patches? Should I continue with them?

kimo31 : Icy hot generally works better for muscular ache. If you notice improvement then I would continue them, however I would prefer to recommend ibuprofen for what sounds to be a bruise
Customer:

OK I know when I hit it, it was very hard. The noise woke me. should I use heat or cold ???

kimo31 : I recommend using cold. If this doesn't get better over the course of several days, I would recommend seeing your doctor when you return home
Customer:

Thank You!

kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience: Family Practice resident.
Expert:  kimo31 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the excellent rating and bonus! I recently worked with you in regard to your concern about your elbow. I was concerned for your elbow and wanted to follow up with you and see how things have progressed. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me again. I look forward to providing you with the best experience possible!