Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

I have a persistant yeast infection on my big toe. In addition

I have a persistant yeast infection on my big toe. In addition my big toenail has recently become quite dark..almost a blue black. What treatment would you recommend?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

When did the infection start?

How is the temperature of the toe?

Do you feel pain or any other symptom?

Did you get it checked by doctor since it started?

Did you try any medicine?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The toe has been bothering me for 8 or 9 months. It seems to clear up with

a non perscription athetes foot ointment but returns if I discontinue treatment. The toe nail temperature is normal. It is somewhat tender but

not painful. I have not seen a doctor. Wondering if I should see a podiatrist?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the information,

From your history, it is likely to be due to fungal infection as it is responding to otc anti fungal ointment.

It can produce black discoloration of the nail.

Sometimes other conditions like low blood supply, melanoma can cause black coloration.

But response to treatment, normal temperature etc. suggest fungal infection more likely.

It can stay for months.

I would suggest to get an examination by your primary doctor first.

He can then refer you if he thinks necessary.

Often long treatment is required.

Local anti fungal cream is not much effective.

Still you can try otc creams.

Oral antifungal drugs like fluconazole, griseofulvin, terbinafine, itraconazole are usually required.

It should be taken regularly, often 2-3 months.

Laser treatment can help to clear the fungus.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Is this very contagious? I'm wondering if I can continue to get regular pedicures as I would not want to spread this (I'm wondering if that's how I contracted it). Can it be spread to others via shared showers etcetera?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 9 months ago.
Fungus live well in moist, warm areas.

So it is possible to contract it from public showers, swimming pool.

If the instrument is not cleaned properly then it can spread through pedicure.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience