Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

my blood sodium is too low and my potassium is too high ...is

Customer Question

my blood sodium is too low and my potassium is too high ...is this dangerous - shall i go to hospital
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Before I can answer that, I need to know your sodium and potassium levels?

And, are you diabetic?

Are you taking any kind of medicins for any medical illness on a regular basis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have no thyroid and take novothyrol - a combination t3 t4 and i have problems with hypothyroid and hyperthyroid - due a temporary alteration of meds... i have been feeling very unwell - breathing discomfort - weakness, weird sensations...air hunger and my levels are sodium potassium 133/5.8 and normal range is 138/5.1....i am very worried that something bad is happening and i will collapse

The low sodium is not too important but your potassium level is dangerously high and you should rush to the ER or you may develop cardiac arrest. I am not trying to frighten you but potassium is very sensitive and your blood potassium level is significantly high that needs to be corrected asap. The breathing discomfort , weakness , air hunger are all inter related are likely to be corrected after the potassium level comes down to normal.
you should get a complete blood panel done at the earliest

After you get stable in the ER, you should check your thyroid T3 and T4 levels immediately as significantly hyperthyroid state is also an emergency.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i was told that the potassium may be abnormally high because my blood was taken on wednesday evening and olny testedon thursday morning and that the potassium levels increases automatically in this case

Yes, that is seen sometimes but your blood level is quite high. I would like you to get a re check of the blood potassium level to ensure that the level is not erroneously elevated.Get an EKG done as well to correlate the elevated potassium levels with any abnormal cardiac findings.

Secondly, as I said, the blood thyroid level should also be estimated as you are taking a supplement. This will help to adjust the dose, if necessary.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Hello again, do you still have questions on this issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i had an EKG and stress test last monday - all ok - also whenever i take a sauna or exercise i feel better....so are all these signs of too high potassium??...also i have been supplementing potassium at about 300mg on average a day ( i had a shortage a few years ago)and stopped completely yesterday and had two heavy saunas....do you think its ok not to go to emergency and wait for a more accurate test situation tomorrow morning....even though i still feel slightly out of breath...and have been for 6 weeks now - having said this i can still run uphill without heavy breathing ...its just a need to yawn all the time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when i had the echocardiogram last monday i did not know about the high potassium level so is that particular function checked automatically with the ultrasound

Alright. That was quite an essential history that you provided just now.

No, echocardiagram is a special study where a specialist does an ultrasound of the heart. EKG or electrocardiagram is a study of the electrical activity of the heart that could be altered with abnrmal blood potassium.

You should get the blood potassium re checked in a lab rather than rush to the ER (as earlier stated by me).

I do not think that your symptoms could be due to high potassium alone as the EkG was normal this monday itself (if the potassium level was checked around the same time)..Some of your symptoms like air hunger can also be due to stress and anxiety related which can also cause excess yawning. However, If you were my patient I would take this seriously because yawning is also a symptom of low oxygen in your body. In fact it dispels excess carbon di oxide from your blood leaving you in a state where you have air hunger.

I would like you to get a complete evaluation including blood gas analysis done by an MD / PCP at the earliest next morning , if not in the ER now.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oh I forgot to mention that my iron levels are normal but my ferritin is too low....

ferritin is 16 and should be between 30 and 400 but iron is 70 and should be between 40 and 150

Blood gas analysis is a measurement of how much oxygen and carbon dioxide is in your blood. If there too much or too less carbon dioxide and oxygen in your blood, it can cause breathing problems. This is usually associated with metabolic and respiratory problems. Since you have recorded a low sodium and high potassium level in your blood, this test is essential to know if the abnormal metabolic profile has also some correlation with the blood gases.

However, you do not have to get this test done until you check the blood potassium level.

I guess I have cleared all your doubts!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have an appoitnment now with my doctor for an EKG which has not been done since May and I will ask for a blood gas analysis and also that he calls ER because my ferritin is also too low...16 and the lowest level should be 30!....i will write back to you in 1 hour when i am back and then i hope we can finnish the consultation - you have been very helpful and I will increase the fee - so you have something urgent to add before i leave in 1 minute?

Well,I would not suggest getting a blood gas analysis at this point.
Talk to your doctor about the EKG and a repeat potassium levels.
Low ferritin is again a cause of concern as it is a sign of iron deficiency anemia.

I may not be online after one hour as I will be busy with my patients (I am off duty now). But you can still post your question, I will try to answer it at the earliest opportunity.
So, if you have any more urgent questions, I think we can finish off now. I will not charge for any follow up questions though!
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Thanks for the positive rating and the bonus!

My good wishes for your good health!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i sent a reply a moment ago but i am not sure you received it

Sorry, I did not get any other reply. If you have any follow ups, send me here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i went to my doctor who has given me a letter for a pulmonologist - he also assured me that the blood sample taken last wednesday waited for 19 hours before being tested - and also last week i tested normal for potassium...so its okay to wait until this monday to be tested again... i had a very bad evening feeling extremely unwell but then I took 40 mg of bio identical progesterone and immediately felt a lot better because I am menopausal and I do not take HRT and i have low progesterone..but the breathing issue was back this morning!....I wonder whether I have a kind of asthma induced by very low progesterone...but i will go anyway to the pulminologist and also for another potassium test on Monday...and I will keep taking regular progesterone now to see if it helps this kind of asthma that I have...can asthma symptoms be a continual chest discomfort that does NOT get worse with exercise?

Progesterone can sometimes cause breathing discomfort or shortness of breath. This is not asthma but just an occasional breathing problem or shortness. If you consistently have breathing issues, I would suggest discussing this with the pulmonologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this - I have also realised today that I can control how i feel because i feel better when I exercise (even the breathing gets better)so I think I may be suffering form panic disorder - my doctor recommended taking tranxene ....but do you know a really effective anxiety medication without side effects??

Yeah, you can start off with zolam which has the active ingredient alprazolam. It is a mild anti anxiety anti depressant that is widely prescribed because of its minimal side effects. First starting dose is 0.25 mg which can be gradually increased if not very effective. It can also be used for inducing sleep by taking at bedtime. You can get a prescription from your PCP.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank for this our connection has been excellent I will not hesitate to consult. You again
You are most welcome to consult me. just request me as Dr. Bora. I am usually online around this time. you can come up with any health related advice and I will try my best to help you .

Take care!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turns out I have chronic hyperventilation syndrome!
Hyperventilation syndrome (HVS) represents a relatively common emergency department (ED) presentation that is readily recognized by most clinicians. However, the underlying pathophysiology has not been clearly elucidated.