Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

what causes severe hip pain that feels like the hip has popped

what causes severe hip pain that feels like the hip has popped out of place? This happens when I raise my leg more than a few inches, rotate my hip in certain positions and sit cross legged. The only way to make the severe pain stop is to rotate my hip and rest. It takes about a few days before it will bear weight again and a few weeks before it will quit deeply aching.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Dr. R. Bora :

Can we chat live?

Dr. R. Bora :

How did the severe pain start?

Dr. R. Bora :

Were you injured?

Dr. R. Bora :

Use the reply button to type.

Customer:

I cant remember a specific event that triggered the pain. It has been going on since I was about 16 years old. I was a cheerleader for 7 years and also a competitive swing dancer. But neither of these activies left me with an injury that I can pinpoint.

Dr. R. Bora :

How did the severe pain start?

Were you injured?

Customer:

I did take a bad fall down some stairs about a year ago, the pain has gotten worse since then, but it didn't start then

Customer:

it has been getting worse since I was 16 and now it is almost too much to handle at times

Dr. R. Bora :

Have you done an MRI of the joint?

Dr. R. Bora :

Any other investigations since you were 16?

Customer:

no I have talked with various doctors over the years and no one has taken me seriously they say I am too young or that it's a pulled muscle ect and tell me to try heat ice or rest

Dr. R. Bora :

Oh, that is not right....

Customer:

I have tried to put up with it, but I am too a point I think something might be really wrong with it

Dr. R. Bora :

You should consult an orthopedic doctor and get an MRI of the pelvis and hip joints asap.

Dr. R. Bora :

You are having a chronic hip problem and one of the common diseases affecting the hip joint is SCFE.

Customer:

are there any possible conditions that it could be that I might suggest to my doctor to look for

Dr. R. Bora :

Yes, SCFE is the most common condition. It is slipped capital femoral epiphysis that causes a painful hip joint with limited range of motion.

Dr. R. Bora :

The head, or "ball," of the thighbone (referred to as the femoral head) slips off the neck of the thigh bone, much like how a scoop of ice cream can slip off the top of a cone. This condition causes the hip joint to become painful and stiff.

Customer:

so would an mri be able to diagnose that? Also, what should I do in the meantime for pain management until I can be seen?

Dr. R. Bora :

An important sign and symptom of SCFE is pain in the hip that’s aggravated by activity and that may subside with rest. (as in your case).

Dr. R. Bora :

Yes, MRI and clinical examination is 100% diagnostic.

Dr. R. Bora :

For the pain, prescription meds like ultram from your primary care doctor.

Dr. R. Bora :

Avoid activities that aggravate the pain.

Dr. R. Bora :

You can use a crutch to walk.

Dr. R. Bora :

See your PCP for the prescription meds.

Dr. R. Bora :

I am pretty amazed that you have not been diagnosed for 10 years!

Customer:

me too, I have seen a few doctors for this but was always told since I could not recall a specific injury and because I was young that it wasn't serious and that I should just rest it and it would go away. So I would go years inbetween seeing a doctor about it because I thought they must be right and I was overreacting or had low pain tolerance.

Customer:

thank you so much for listening to me, I am thrilled to have a direction in which to go with this. I hope by bringing this to my doctor's attention I might start to get somewhere, thanks!

Dr. R. Bora :

You are welcome. Iam happy to help you too.Tell me now, is the pain persistent or there are periods free of pain too?

Dr. R. Bora :

There are few other conditions too that can cause painful hip joint.

Dr. R. Bora :

Do you have pain in the other hip joint also?

Customer:

it always has a dull ache to it, and the tendons (I am assuming tendons maybe muscle) over the femur (or the part of the hip that sticks out) are always tender to touch and a little sore, but the severe pain I described is activity induced so it is not constant.

Dr. R. Bora :

Ok, any pain in the other hip or any other joint?

Dr. R. Bora :

Fever?

Customer:

as for the other hip, yes every now and then it will feel as though it had popped out of socket and I will have the same symtoms, but it takes greater activity to do so

Customer:

no I don't have a fever

Dr. R. Bora :

Ok. Then you look like a typical case of SCFE .

Dr. R. Bora :

So, make an early appointment with an orthpedic doctor.

Customer:

thank you so much!

Dr. R. Bora :

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr. R. Bora :

You are welcome.

Dr. R. Bora :

Bonuses are appreciated!

Dr. R. Bora :

Thanks!

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Thanks Meg. I am very glad that i could help you!

For any new or follow up questions, you can request me as DR. BORA in the opening statement of the question . I am usually online around this time or even earlier.

God bless!
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor