Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

The mayo dr never called with the CT results

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If it was done today the radiologist usually doesn't dictate his report for at least 24 hours
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe. But at my clinic its done in a couple hours. Plus he said if i couldnt do the ct today i could do it tomorrow and then hed give me the results after it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, unless you have a radiologist on hand or ask for a "wet reading" it usually takes a day. But really there's nothing more to say about this part
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel sad
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I never know exactly what I'm supposed to say when you say that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think im also becoming dyslexic
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
One doesn't become dyslexic--you're born with it. What's going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think its all probably related to stress. But like when i call people i mix the position of the numbers up. When i was talking to someone on the phone they gave me a confirmation number i wrote it down and when i repeated it back to them even though i was looking at the numbers i screwed them all up
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
How long has that been going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its probably been a month month in a half. But when i stopped at work today and was writing down a phone number one of my coworkers pointed out that i wasnt writing it correctly
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Any other examples?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was giving a dr and extension and it was 5 digits long. I was looking at the number and gave itto him wrong even though i thought i was saying it write. And some ofthe numbers i gave him werent even in the extension
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
This has only happened with numbers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happens with letters. I mix words up in sentences. I ask the same question over again because i dont remember asking it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--most likely just anxiety.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
M Y anxiety is making my life harder
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Another thing--it could be the lorazepam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I probably have a brain tumor. It would explain the headaches too
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
When did you last have a brain MRI?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then you do need one, but I don't think this is a brain tumor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do I need one? My dog is back:). I only cried for an hour because she was gone
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well at least tell your doctor about this and let him decide about the MRI So glad to here about your dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do i wake up 5-10 times a night
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hard to say--could be sleep apnea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be stress related? Is that why im tired all the time
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Of course it could and if that's happening night after night I'd not be surprised if you were tired during the day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im 24 and my bodys falling apart
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, in time you can get it back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Eating right, exercise, getting the GI thing taken care of, and working hard with the right therapist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They wanna do an octreotide scan
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Did they say why?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. Why do you think
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You need to ask questions in a case like this. Usually it's to look for something called a carcinoid tumor which is not the same as a gastrinoma but does affect the GI system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suppose they want to see if i have sething else since my pancreas was fine. Is this anything to worry about
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Probably not. Don't think the octreotide scan will show anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont want to have it done. Inam sick if tests.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Up to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you do if you were me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Don't put me in that position--you do it from time to time. I can't tell you not to follow doctor's orders
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im
Not im
Just asking yiu what you would do
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I'd get the test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why? Why dont they just repeat it and see if its still elevated? Or do a secretin stimulation test?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
This is a different matter unrelated to the elevated gastrin level. Carcinoid syndrome involves serotonin. Totally different area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said he wants to do this scan because my gastrin was elevated
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then ASK QUESTIONS OF HIM!!! Yes it can also be used to detect gastrinomas but also for carcinoids. I'm not going to argue about this--if a Mayo apecialist thinks the test is necessary, get the test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow. You are a jerk
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just not going to tell you not to get the test--if that's being a jerk, so be it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why not. What other tests do they need to do. My gi nurse back home said they only do it if they think they will find something. Because its such an obsecure test
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Look--you keep putting me in an unfair position and in that sense, it's you being the jerk. There are times when it's obvious you'd like me to agree with you about something and I just won't do that when it comes to medicine--not even as a friend would I just tell you what you want to hear if I didn't think it was right. You have an elevated gastrin level--not sky high, but elevated--and you have a chronic gastritis and ulcer problem. Together that spells gastrinoma until proved otherwise and sometimes what we have to do as doctors is make a diagnosis by ruling out other possible diagnoses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So be honest with me here do you think its gastrinoma
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't think so but there is a small chance it is so that's why I say get the test and nail it down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then what if this test is negative? Then what? Maybe my gastrin level is jut normally high
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's where I keep telling you to ask questions--you don't do that and then you just spin your wheels wondering.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did and he said something about starting medication
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What exactly did he say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked him what if th scan doesnt show anything he said something about starting medication. Hes hard to understand
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then you needed to make him be understandable because I can't read his mind
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its his accent. What can i do to reduce the gastrin level
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
One thing would be to get off the Zantac and Nexium and all those kinds of meds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive been off if since the 24th. But he wants to start me back on the ranitidine and add aciphex
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--let's stop here because I've been put in the position of getting what he thinks from you and there's something missing in the translation. Not your fault but some of this doesn't fit together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What doesnt fit
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Putting you back on the meds if he thinks the elevated gastrin level is causing your problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Idk but he put me back on the meds
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Enough of this--I really don't have any more I can say with the information you've given me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why woukd he put me on the meds if it can cause an increase in the gastrin level
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I don't know an that's why I say I can't read his mind but seriously here--no more on the subject for now and unless you have something else to quickly talk about we should close the page
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Give me a list of questions to ask him when i see him
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Why exactly is the gastrin level high?
Is the elevated level causing the stomach problems?
If that's so, what do we do about it?
If not, and there's no gastrinoma, why are you having these continuing problems despite medication?
How do I solve my eating disorder problem and does that have anything to do with the GI problem?
Are there any medications that you haven't tried yet that might help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do you gotta throw the eating disorder in there
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Because I said so. No matter what he decides is the GI problem, even just an intermittent problem with the eating disorder could likely make it worse and if you can start having a regular, sufficient, daily diet it certainly has to help with healing whatever is going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am up to 1200 calories a day
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Good going--keep it up and let's close for now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im too
Anxious to sleep
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
We really need to close this page
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not been able to sleep
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand but first off there isn't anything I can do about that and second the page is long with several answers so let's close it, take some time today to do something active and get back to me later
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you look at my new question
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK