911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

my 70-year-old mom is having gastric bypass surgery tomorrow

my 70-year-old mom is having gastric bypass surgery tomorrow to get rid of her diabetes. Since she is only five foot seven and 220 pounds, is it crazy for her to have the surgery? I mean, how likely are complications?

911Doctor :

It's not crazy at all... have you discussed this with her and her physician?

911Doctor :

I will check back with you when you are able to chat?

Customer:

I told her I'm nervous about it, and she just said "don't worry." But I AM worried because surgery gets riskier as one ages, and I don't think she's fat enough to justify the risk.

911Doctor :

with respect, you need to trust her doctors a bit more.... no surgeon is going to do an elective surgery on a risky patient because it's unethical and unsafe and if things go wrong he is going to lose the lawsuit.

911Doctor :

your mom will have been evaluated for surgery both by her physician, and the surgeon and anesthsiologist.

911Doctor :

the anesthesiologist in particular will have taken special care to make sure your mom is healthy enough for this surgery.

911Doctor :

at some point she had to agree to this of course, so she seems pretty determined, and she understands that all surgery comes with risk.

911Doctor :

but something does seem strange here

911Doctor :

gastric bypass surgery is not done to 'get rid of diabetes'....

911Doctor :

it doesn't do that

911Doctor :

with weight loss people may be able to come off their diabetic medicines

911Doctor :

so that part is true

911Doctor :

but it is not a cure for diabetes

911Doctor :

standing by for questions

Customer:

I know they must think it's safe, and she'll probably be fine. I would just be more supportive if she weighed 300 pounds or more. And since I'm heavier than her, part of me is jealous that I can't afford a "quick fix" to obesity.

Customer:

I am curious if any doctors on JustAnswer would emphatically say "NO! She shouldn't have the surgery"?

911Doctor :

you could find a doctor to say that, but any speculation about her and her surgery would be quite pointless unless the doctor had her medical records and knew her medical history... which is why I'm speaking in general terms...

911Doctor :

gastric bypass surgery is not for everyone

911Doctor :

and can not be performed on the very obese

911Doctor :

in fact, a bariatric surgeon will require the very obese to lose weight before surgery to make the surgery more safe and give better results.

Customer:

ok. thank you for your help.

Customer:

I'm not going to run into the OR saying "I object" ;-)

911Doctor :

very good

911Doctor :

any further questions for me about this?

Customer:

no, thanks. I'll rate ya

911Doctor :

great, well I sure hope the surgery goes well. if this has been helpful please consider leaving positive feedback. thanks again for your question and be well.

911Doctor :

many thanks.

911Doctor :

;)