Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have been diagnosed with cold sores maybe 4 years ago. I

I have been diagnosed with cold sores maybe 4 years ago. I tend to have this itchy feeling all over my body which cause me to scratch ever where. Normally I will then take Valtrex and the pain will go away. I asked by ob-gyn about it and he believes it is not apart of the herpes. What is it and how do I take care of it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--how long does this feeling last and are you saying that you have no rash when it occurs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I normally have no rash..I did notice some itching in my vaginal area though but that was the first time in four years I have noticed anything . The itchness may last until after I take my valtrax but I have noticed that is sometimes starts up after I drink coffee,, I asked my doctor about it but he believes coffee does not have an affect on herpes. Today I took valtrex and the itchness did go away within a hour.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And does your doctor think this is herpes? Any other medical problems?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He does not believe it is herpes.. He asked if I ever got an allergic reaction from Valtrex and I said no. He told if I break in in red bumps and get a fever to go to ER. He believes it is something else.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--has he checked your liver and kidney function and screened you for autoimmune disorders like lupus?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for all the questions--so you take Valtrex for it and that always resolve is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes..normally
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--there is something call zoster sine herpete where you have the burning or itching or pain without the rash and if that's what you have and it keeps hitting you, you need to be on supressive--daily--Valtrex treatment. That said, this could be liver, kidney, autoimmune disorder, or maybe low thyroid so all those areas need to be checked with blood work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will daily valtrex stop it further complications?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--you would to be on it for at least three months.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice