Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

Both of my sons have had on and off diarrhea for about 2 weeks,

Customer Question

Both of my sons have had on and off diarrhea for about 2 weeks, No fever, no vomiting, and no temperature. They are not dehydrated and drink plenty of fluids.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, according to what you have been describing , this does not look very serious .

Specially , when your sons have not experienced fever, vomiting,nausea ,stomach cramps or abdominal pain.

On the other side ,it has been going on for 2 weeks now and it should be further investigated to see if there an infectious cause ( including a viral ( norovirus or rotavirus ) ,bacterial ( like Salmonella , Escherichia or Shigella ) or parasite infection (like Entamoeba hystolica or Giardia lamblia ) ), antibiotic or medication side effects, stress , anxiety ,dietary habits , food intoxication or drinking certain drinks specially caffeinated beverages .

The doctor will need to take a stool sample and perform a culture to determine if there is a microorganism and what microorganism is . The treatment will vary according to what he finds out , most bacterial and viral infection are managed with self care measures . If there is a parasite , an antiparasite medication will be prescribed like Metronidazole .

In the meantime, they should drink a lot of fluids , avoid dairy products like milk or cheese , fried or high fat meals and high seasoned foods . At this time ,low fiber foods are a better option until their symptoms improve like rice , soda crackers , chicken ,bananas ( they contain probiotics good for the intestinal tract ,they promote the growth of healthy intestinal bacteriae ) and mashed potatoes. In case ,they experience any stomach cramps or spasms , you could give them chamomile or peppermint tea .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They both have cramps before going but are fine after.
This looks more like a viral infection, however it is extremely important to rule out all the possibilities . You should take them to the doctor ,they will take a stool sample and perform an analysis to determine what specific microorganism is producing the infection . If there is a parasite , they will give them metronidazole for few days .

Do not worry ,this does not look serious specially when they are not presenting alarming symptoms like vomiting or fever at the time .

But it is important to perform a stool analysis if the symptoms have not gone away completely.