Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

Hey I just got my lab results back and for HIV it states that

Hey I just got my lab results back and for HIV it states that it is Negative. But it has a listing where it says HSV I/II IgG, and the number range is higher then idicated. It states, 0.9 is negative, 0.9-1.0 is equivocal, and anything over 1 is positive and mine came out as 16.9 which is high. How can I find out if it is hsv I or II? and does this mean I am infected because I have not had any symptoms as of yet. Please let me know, thanks.

Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, by these results , you are HIV negative .

But your HSV results shows you are positive for herpes , there are two types of herpes 1 oral herpes ( this type produces mouth cold sores or blisters ) and 2 ( this one produces the genital lesions ) or genital herpes .

However , both types could produce genital and oral lesions .

Your results are positive for IgG , this means you have been infected in the past ( not all patients develop symptoms ) and those antibodies would remain in your body permanently . The IgM is the antibody produced when there is a new active recent infectious process which is not your case .

The virus will remain in your body in lower amounts with no symptoms . Under certain circumstances , the virus could proliferate and produce active symptoms.

This first test does not tell you what specific virus you have ,it could be 1 ,2 or both . To know if what you have is HSV 1 or 2 ,you will need the HSV 1 IgM or G results and the HSV 2 IgM or G individually ,not combined .

HSV 2 results over 1.09 are positive and HSV-1 results over 1.10 are positive .

Right now , you do not need treatment .

If you develop symptoms, Your doctor could prescribe you antiviral medication like Acyclovir, Famciclovir or Valacyclovir to lower the viral count so you can feel better faster . If there are many outbreaks , your doctor will give you antiviral medication to decrease the outbreak episodes but that is not your case fortunately . There is no need to get anxious or worried , most people have this virus and never develop symptoms , and if you experience any symptoms , they are temporary and there is treatment available.

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey thank you so much for the response. I feel a bit better but still have issued another test result and should get it by tomorrow. Another question, on a very personal side. Am I still able to have sexual intercourse with my partner without infecting her?? I just found out about this today and its going to be very hard to tell her the results once I get home because I love her so much and dont want to lose her over this. Since you are saying that for the time being I will not need any medication, do I just wait until I start seeing the symptoms or should I go ahead and take medication before it develops even more? If I get checked again in a few months and lets say the number gets higher, does that mean that it is developing?

Yes, you can have sexual intercourse with your partner without infecting her . You should use condoms specially if you develop any blisters or active lesions to decrease the risk of infecting her . Be sincere , there is no reason to lose her specially if she loves you .

Numbers could get higher if you develop an active infection , but you do not need to take another test it is not necessary .

The best way to monitor herpes is through symptoms .

If you do not experience any symptoms , treatment is not necessary even with these antibody levels . Treatment will be given only if you develop symptoms.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for all the info. And yes I will be sincere with her and explain to her exactly what these results mean. I felt a bit better but now I think I will actually sleep tonight after reading all this from you. So I would like to know what are some of those circumstances that could proliferate the virus to evolve, if it were to happen.

Outbreaks are usually sporadic but they could be related to certain circumstances like having a weakened immune system ,being under a lot of stress or anxiety .