Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

Hey I just got my lab results back and for HIV it states that

Customer Question

Hey I just got my lab results back and for HIV it states that it is Negative. But it has a listing where it says HSV I/II IgG, and the number range is higher then idicated. It states, 0.9 is negative, 0.9-1.0 is equivocal, and anything over 1 is positive and mine came out as 16.9 which is high. How can I find out if it is hsv I or II? and does this mean I am infected because I have not had any symptoms as of yet. Please let me know, thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, by these results , you are HIV negative .

But your HSV results shows you are positive for herpes , there are two types of herpes 1 oral herpes ( this type produces mouth cold sores or blisters ) and 2 ( this one produces the genital lesions ) or genital herpes .

However , both types could produce genital and oral lesions .

Your results are positive for IgG , this means you have been infected in the past ( not all patients develop symptoms ) and those antibodies would remain in your body permanently . The IgM is the antibody produced when there is a new active recent infectious process which is not your case .

The virus will remain in your body in lower amounts with no symptoms . Under certain circumstances , the virus could proliferate and produce active symptoms.

This first test does not tell you what specific virus you have ,it could be 1 ,2 or both . To know if what you have is HSV 1 or 2 ,you will need the HSV 1 IgM or G results and the HSV 2 IgM or G individually ,not combined .

HSV 2 results over 1.09 are positive and HSV-1 results over 1.10 are positive .

Right now , you do not need treatment .

If you develop symptoms, Your doctor could prescribe you antiviral medication like Acyclovir, Famciclovir or Valacyclovir to lower the viral count so you can feel better faster . If there are many outbreaks , your doctor will give you antiviral medication to decrease the outbreak episodes but that is not your case fortunately . There is no need to get anxious or worried , most people have this virus and never develop symptoms , and if you experience any symptoms , they are temporary and there is treatment available.

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey thank you so much for the response. I feel a bit better but still have issued another test result and should get it by tomorrow. Another question, on a very personal side. Am I still able to have sexual intercourse with my partner without infecting her?? I just found out about this today and its going to be very hard to tell her the results once I get home because I love her so much and dont want to lose her over this. Since you are saying that for the time being I will not need any medication, do I just wait until I start seeing the symptoms or should I go ahead and take medication before it develops even more? If I get checked again in a few months and lets say the number gets higher, does that mean that it is developing?

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can have sexual intercourse with your partner without infecting her . You should use condoms specially if you develop any blisters or active lesions to decrease the risk of infecting her . Be sincere , there is no reason to lose her specially if she loves you .

Numbers could get higher if you develop an active infection , but you do not need to take another test it is not necessary .

The best way to monitor herpes is through symptoms .

If you do not experience any symptoms , treatment is not necessary even with these antibody levels . Treatment will be given only if you develop symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for all the info. And yes I will be sincere with her and explain to her exactly what these results mean. I felt a bit better but now I think I will actually sleep tonight after reading all this from you. So I would like to know what are some of those circumstances that could proliferate the virus to evolve, if it were to happen.

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Outbreaks are usually sporadic but they could be related to certain circumstances like having a weakened immune system ,being under a lot of stress or anxiety .