911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I am 54 years old, male, 58" approximately 170 pounds. I quit

I am 54 years old, male, 5'8" approximately 170 pounds. I quit smoking a month ago.

I have not felt well for about a year. I suffer from voice hoarsess that comes and goes, and can make me feel somewhat breathless, mild chest discomfort, and lately some shortness of breath when walking or doing anything physical. It is not bad, but not good either, I am becoming quite nervous, expecting a heart attack when I am doing anything physical. Sometimes the discomfort comes as a pressure in my stomach and is often accompanied by belching.

I used to be quite physical and in pretty good shape, but lately seem to have become the opposite. I am becoming afraid to do anything physical because of the shortness of breath and often a tightness in my stomach. (not in my chest, it feels like pressure beneath the breastbone.)

I have had asthma since I was a child and currently take atrovent 250 with areochamber 2X a day. In addition I take 1 asprin a day, 1 Crestor for high cholesterol.

I have had two chest xray over the past year, (no changes) an upper GI, nothing showed other than a little fat around my liver.

An ENT doctor checked my throat with scope, saw some mild issues around my esopehegus, prescribed Tecta twice a day for reflux. I had an EKG about a year ago, everything was normal at the time.

I was taking Welbutrin for about a month, but found it made me depressed, but it did not make me feel better at all.

My doctor does not seem to have any idea what is wrong with me or where to look. I am beginning to think he thinks I am nuts. Well nuts or not, I am still not feeling well and there must be something that is wrong or something that can help. There is a history of heart problems on both sides of my family.

Do you have any suggestions as to what might be wrong, what should be checked? What tests I should ask for?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Well it seems no one has looked for the obvious.

911Doctor :

You have risk factors for heart disease

911Doctor :

And symtpoms that may be due to angina

911Doctor :

and the only test done on your heart is an EKG

911Doctor :

you need, at the very least, a stress test...

911Doctor :

either on the treadmill or a chemical stress test

911Doctor :

Angina can cause a variety of symtpoms

911Doctor :

And is a warning sign of possible heart attack

911Doctor :

I don't understand not looking into the possibility that this is your heart.

911Doctor :

Standing by

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

i do not see you in the chat... i will check back with you shortly. please do read the link above. be right back.

Customer:

I am not sure why my heart hasn't been checked more closely. It seems that after the ekg was ok that the doc just moved on to other possible causes, not the least of which was the reflux. Personally I am thinking I may have both happening, reflux and heart issues.

Customer:

I think that the angina may not be high on the radar because I don't seem to have any

Customer:

chest "pain" exactly, more a discomfort/pressure in my stomach. Nor does it seem to get worse with exercise or better when I stop exercise.

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician