Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

My alkaline phosphatase level is slightly elevated (184) Prior

My alkaline phosphatase level is slightly elevated (184) Prior was 143. My Vitamin D level is 14, very low. All other lab values normal. My doctor suggested I try taking magnesium, but from everything I have read, magnesium activates the alkaline phosphatase enzyme. Why would this help? Aside from increasing Vitamin D, do you suggest anything to lower my alk.

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

The low vitamin D and the slightly raised Alkaline phosphatase indicates that you could be having bone problems like osteoporosis, very common in females or pre menopausal and menopausal age (like you). Now magnesium has a role in calcium absorption whic also helps in vitamin D absorption in the intestine. That is why your physician has suggested to take magnesium. But I would like you to get your blood calcium level checked as well to look for any calcium deficeincy before you start taking magnesium supplements.

Besides bone problems, Alkaline phosphatase can also be raised in diseases of the gallbladder, such as cholecystitis, or inflammation of the gallbladder, or gallstones. Finally, liver disease such as tumors or alcoholic liver disease increases blood levels.

So, I would also like you to get an ultrasound of the liver and gall bladder to look for any causes in these organs for the raised ALP. If the cause can be identified, appropriate treatment will bring down the level of this enzyme.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doctor, Thank you. My calcium level was normal, and all my other liver lab values including GGT were normal. Pth was also ok.

I am a stage 1 breast cancer survivor of a few years, so the drug I take Arimidex also causes bone issues.

Knowing these factors, Would the magnesium be a good idea? I still don't understand how it would be?

My doc would like to up the Vit D and recheck in 6-8 weeks

Hello Laura.

Taking magnesium would help in calcium and vitamin D absorption from the intestines. So your doctor has decided to add magnesium with the vitamin D supplementation. .Magnesium 's role in vitamin D absorption can outweigh its role in alkaline phosphatase metabolism. So, I assume that taking magnesium would be helpful in the broader sense.

Get your vitamin D levels re checked though.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last question, I love that you are to the point. What alk phos levels would be a concern. When do you think I should get the alk phos level rechecked?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello?

Sorry Laura, I was offline . I thought you did not have any more questions.

Your ALP level is definitely above normal but this is because your bones are weak. As your vitamin D level goes up with supplementation along with the magnesium, the ALP enzyme levels is likely to come down.

So, it is more important to salvage your bones now. It is a good thing that your calcium level is normal. The low vitamin D means that you are unable to absorb it from the gut.
Taking magnesium supplements will ensure that you absorb vitamin D from the gut better.

So, re check your vitamin D levels in 6 to 8 weeks and once it comes back to normal, you can stop taking magnesium as well. Check the ALP levels around this time too.

I hope my answer has helped you.