Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

Male, 68 old, not circumcised, not sexually active. Several

Male, 68 old, not circumcised, not sexually active. Several months a redspot on head of penis sometimes bleeds. Keeps growing larger and deepening. No pain. Bleeding often now, not much, but frequent oozing.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

So, basically this looks like a non healing painless ulcer.
Such an ulcer could be chronic infective ulceration that needs to be treated with antibiotics. You should get a culture done from the ooze to look for any bacterial cause for the ulcer.

STD can often cause penile ulcers but as you are not sexually active, it can be eliminated.

If there is no recovery from antibiotics , you will have to exclude malignancy considering your age.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Hello James, do you have any more questions on this issue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You say "exclude malignancy"? If antibotics don't work and no malignancy, what next?

The plan of treatment is such that first get the culture done from the ooze. If there are bacteria then get it treated.
If there is no bacterial infection, the next step wpuld be to get a biopsy done from the ulcer. This will provide you the exact diagnosis for the ulcer , like benign or malignant. This test checks for the tissues / cells from the ulcer . Non malignant cause for ulcer is tuberculosis or chronic granuloma.So, treatment will be according to the biopsy result.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is granuloma and what causes it?

What treatments are avalibable?

Granuloma is caused by a bacteria known as klebsiella. Usually causes pain less ulcers. Diagnosis is important through biopsy as other ulcers could resemble this.

Three weeks of treatment with erythromycin, or tetracycline or 12 weeks of treatment with ampicillin are standard forms of therapy. Normally, the infection will begin to subside within a week of treatment, but the full treatment period must be followed in order to minimize the possibility of relapse.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. If it's TB what will treatment plan be? Sorry didn't ask last time.

Treatment plan would be with specific anti tubercular drugs. This included specific treatment for for 2 months followed by short term therapy for 4 months. So, total 6 months treatment according to standard protocol.

You will have to discuss this with an MD dermatologist and getting a biopsy would be very important to make the exact diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, very helpful. Meanwhile a new question. Much sinus trouble recently at my home in northern Georgia. Seems to be like an infection I have had before, irritated throat, hard to clear the phlem, and sometimes dry cough. Have not taken any over the counter or prescription yet. Have some Amoxicillan left from a prescription prescribed and changed recently for abcessed tooth. Do you think it would be okay to take it to help sinus infection?

Yes, you can take it at a dose of 500 mg every 6 hourly for 7 days.

If you do not see any improvement in this time period, you should consult an ENt specialist for another prescription medicine.

I hope I have answered all your questions.
.

Thanks. If you have any new questions for me , please consult me as Dr. Bora in the opening statement of the question.