Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Dancing Fool here. I guess my question vanished to tge ether.

Dancing Fool here. I guess my question vanished to tge ether. I got my lab tests for my annual in today's email. My HGB and HCT are below the reference range, and TSH was low on the reference range. All 5000 other tests (that had numbers) all seemed to be in the middle-ish area of their reference range. I have NIDDM and Hypertension. Hmmm I just realized they didn't do an A1C. Huh. My total cholesterol was 190ish but my HDL was 55 or so. Oh I am overweight but not obese.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the complete CBC and the thyroid panel to show me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I will have to mail them later as I have to go back to work in a few. Hope I don't get beat up again!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Be Jason and wear a hockey goalie mask and get back to me later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Assessments: Diabetes (NIDDM)
Lab: BMP
Name Value Reference Range
GLU 95 70-100 mg/dL
BUN 11 7-18 mg/dL
CREAT 0.7 0.6-1.3 mg/dL
BUN/CREAT RATIO 15 RATIO
EGFR 83 >60 mL/min
NA 136 135-145 mmoL/L
K 3.8 3.5-5.0 mmoL/L
CL 105 98-107 mmoL/L
CO2 25 22-30 mmoL/L
CA 9.1 8.4-10.6 mg/dL

Assessments: Hypertension
Lab: CARDIAC RISK(chol,trig,hdl,ldl)
Name Value Reference Range
CHOL 184 0-199 mg/dL
TRIGS 74 10-200 mg/dL
HDL 55 35-85 mg/dL
CHOL/HDL 3 RATIO
LDLCALC 114 Calc
Non HDL Chol 129.00

Assessments: Hypertension
Lab: CBC W/DIFF
Name Value Reference Range
WBC count 5.3 4.6-10.2 10^3/uL
RBC 4.26 4.04-5.48 10^6/uL
HGB 11.5 12.2-16.2 g/dL
HCT 35.7 37.7-47.9 %
MCV 83.8 80.0-98.0 fL
MCH 27.1 27.0-34.0 pg
MCHC 32.3 31.8-35.4 g/dL
RDW 13.3 11.6-14.8 %
PLT 221 142-424 10^3/uL
MPV 9.7 7.4-10.4 fL
NE% 55.5 37.0-80.0 %
LY% 28.5 10.0-50.0 %
MO% 8.4 0.0-12.0 %
EO% 6.8 0.0-7.0 %
BA% 0.8 0.0-2.5 %
NE# 3.0 2.0-6.9 10^3/uL
LY# 1.5 0.6-3.4 10^3/uL
MO# 0.4 0.0-0.9 10^3/uL
EO# 0.4 0.0-0.7 10^3/uL
BA# 0.0 0.0-2.5 10^3/uL

Assessments: Diabetes (NIDDM)
Lab: TSH
Name Value Reference Range
TSH 0.62 0.30-5.00 mIU/mL

Assessments: Diabetes (NIDDM)
Lab: MICROALBUMIN, RANDOM U QUANT
Name Value Reference Range
UCREAT 178 mg/dL
U Microalbumin Random 1.3 0.0-30.0 UG/ML
U Microalbumin Creat Ratio 0.71 0.00-30.00 UG/MG CREAT

Have a great day from Jason, the hockey goalie and dancing fool
:-)

I should attach a photo of my football-player nose. If only I knew how!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The TSH you listed about is within the reference range?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it just barely in? Or well in?
How 'bout the hct & hgb?

Am I doing OK, or a train wreck?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It's fine where it stands. The Hgb and Hct are just a little on the low side--remind me, have they been like that before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what it means so i cannot amswer. Does it mean anemic? If so, it seems like I'm always battling anemia.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just a tad on the anemic side--nothing too serious. You've been told in the past your were anemic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes I am so anemic I can barely walk without huffing & puffing. Total exhaustion. Then I take mplasses every day for a while.... And eventually it drops low again. Never seems to stay at normal.

Perkaps I should stop selling blood for booze money. Ha ha
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay--are you saying you've been truly very anemic to the point where you've had to have iron supplements?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup. I get anemic.... Take iron until I get some other problem.... Cut back on the iron and get anemic again after a short while.

It's so insidious too. I mean, who *really* notices that he is she is more tired today than yesterday? I mean, ifyour fingernails curl zig-zaggy and turn green, you'd go to the doctor and say "what's up with THAT?" But feeling increasingly worn out can easily be chalked up to the demands of the day and dismissed as trivial. Next thing you know you're winded just going from the kitchen to the car, and a 2 year old can outspeed and outdistance you handily. THEN you ask doctor and find out you're anemic AGAIN.

If I weighed 400# XXXXX I could understand huffing & puffing all the time. But I am only 15# XXXXX goal weight. Ok, that's enough excess poundage to aggravate the high blood pressure, and maybe even account for achy feet and knees after standing all day. But is 15# XXXXX enough excess weight to cause huffing and.puffing?

Or, at the first sign of being easily winded (aside from asthma attacks) should I assume the anemia is back and return to daily molasses tea?

I guess I am a little discouraged that the numbers are dropping again.

But my other numbers all look a-ok? Kidneys look good even after 18 years of NIDDM? Were any of those tests liver tests? If so, do they look ok?

I guess I don't want any surprises next month. I'll be reminded that my weight is high. I'll be told my cholesterol needs to come down. I'll be told to exercise more.

Any surprises lurking in those numbers?

Thanks

Oh - I didn't get beat up today at work but that same student had a real crisis so I gave him a WIDE BERTH and let the professionals handle it. I'm just summer staff!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The other numbers are fine and the "anemic" numbers aren't low enough to give you shortness of breath
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But they will got that low so I guess I'll start molasses tomorrow. Already brushed my teeth so I "can't" start molasses tonight.

Thank you for looking at all the numbers and.letying me know no surprises lurk there.

Hey, why don't I have an ACCEPT button? Odd.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Didn't post an answer yet--anything else before I close?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah that explains it. I'm >50. I am blonde. It's hot and humid and I've been on my feet all day. That's.why I didn't figure it out. That's my excuse and I am sticking.to it.

I think you've answered it: there's nothing worrisome in those numbers.

I think I should call up and say "did you mean to include an A1C in that test order?"

Would you be offended if an NIDDM calls up and basically accuses you of forgetting an important test?
(the A1C will probably be high... Had some steroids lately for asthma. Maybe that's why doc didn't order the A1C. Hmmmm Maybe I shouldn't call......)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No I wouldn't be offended and he might just have neglected to order it. Here's something for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPAat-T1uhE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok you goof ball... Now I can't press ACCEPT until you explain why you sent me that Dustin Hofdman clip. I'll have to watch Tootsie again and see if I can watch it as a non-comedy.

I watched "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" but it wasn't my thang. As I watch old re-runs of WINGS, however, I did catch the reference to "WUTL?" in one episode
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just because you mentioned your hair color and age. I do like Peter Sellers--Dr Strangelove and Being There are my favorites. Tootsie was a great movie but one part I didn't understand is when Jessica Lange told Dorothy that she wished a man would just be straightforward and tell her right off he wanted to get her in bed. When Hoffman, as a man at a party, says exactly that to her, she throws her drink in his face--you women are inscrutable sometimes
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah!

Those are great classics.
I think my all-time fave is a Strangelove contemporary: The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
:-)
I don't have to call about the A1C. It came in today's email.
5.4
Not stellar, but not terrible.
It would be better if I hadn't needed steroids for asthma.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

5.4 is fine, but, EMERGENCY!!! EVERYBODY TO GET FROM STREET!!! (Alan Arkin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El03KPUeQc4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But of course, we are Nor-WEE-gan.

I was looking up a table of A1C versus average glucose.
At the end of the table it said anemia can affect a1c.

I know you said I'm not much anemic right now but I often am.

So...
Does anemia artificially inflate or deflate the a1c result?

I think that our having the kids watch TRACTRAC at a delicate age highly influenced my oldest child to go start learning Russian on her own via the library and the web.

Me? I am happy just being able to say NYET and DASVIDANYA.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Significant iron deficiency anemia can bump the Hg A1C up a few percent points but nothing really signimficant. Then, again, there was Ivan the Terrible diabetic
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ivan The Terrible Diabetic - he was a weebie compared to Rasputin.