Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

January 2013 I broke out with shingles on the right side of

January 2013 I broke out with shingles on the right side of my scalp. I am 55 years old, have fibromyalgia and arthritis. In March I had lithotripsy for a 9 mm stone and about 10 days later they went back in to laser the large fragments. In about 2 weeks I broke out in new blisters on the left side of my scalp. Since then I have had small areas on the left side of my face and now my forehead. My husband looked at my scalp tonight and saw many red patches but no blisters yet... ..they are coming. I am on my 4th course of acyclovir. Any opinions of why and what might help stop this cycle?

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Was a work up for diabetes or other immunocompromised states done?
Was the diagnosis of Shingles confirmed (for recent blisters) by your primary care physician or an infectious disease specialist?

Any significant past medical history?

Are you on any other medications, herbs, supplements?

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did have recent bloodwork A1c is 6.1.

My primary care has seen blisters

I am on boswellia, pulsatilla, evening primrose oil, Curcamin, glucosamine sulfate for the fibromyalgia and arthritis. I cannot take anti-inflammatories because I had developed ulcers last summer.I also take toprol xl for SVTs, Elmiron and Sanctura for interstitial cystitis and Cymbalta and Dexilant

This is likely to be Recurrent Shingles which can occur due to;

1) Dietary deficiency
2) Diabetes (your's is normal)
3) Adenosine deaminase (ADA) deficiency and purine nucleoside phosphorylase (PNP) deficiency.
4) Stress
5) Hormonal disorders.

The Shingles vaccine is likely to help if there are no contraindications for it. Please read authentic resources;

http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-edge-newspaper-2010/mar-26a.html

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/news/20091102/shingles-recurs-more-often-than-thought

Your primary care physician may consider investigating for the immunodeficiency diseases as following;

1) Measuring the levels of mediators and cytokines such as IL-2, IL-4, IL-5, interleukin 6 (IL-6), interferon gamma, and tumor necrosis factor

2) T-cell activity; CD69, IL-2 receptor (CD25), transferring receptors (CD71), and major histocompatibility complex class II molecules (human leukocyte antigen DR).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.