Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

I have been having these weird "attacks", I have been having

I have been having these weird "attacks", I have been having them about three years. It is important to note I feel no stress or anxiety during these "attacks"

What happens is this, I get very very lightheaded, disoriented and dizzy. It is hard to talk or concentrate and I usually get very hot and sweaty, my lips, hands and feet start to tingle and go numb. I feel like I will pass out. It is terrifying when it happens.

I have found no cure, sitting helps with the dizziness, and sometimes eating something seems to help, nothing concrete though.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

How frequently do you feel those symptoms?

Did you consult doctor?

Did you have any test or treatment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have them one a week on average. I have consulted a doctor about it once, they just kind of dismissed it and said it was stress. It is not stress.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
How long do the symptoms last?

Is there any precipitating factor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it lasts about fifteen minutes maybe a half hour before the numbness starts to go away and I start to be able to focus again, it takes about an hour or longer for the dizziness to completely pass.

I have tried to rack my brain about what causes this, I can't come up with anything that is common background among the attacks, it seems random to me.

I think it's important to mention that I do have hypothyroidism and hashimotos

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for all the information,

The symptoms can be due to different factors.

There may be dehydration, loss of fluid, fall or changes of blood pressure, low glucose etc .

It can be the symptom of a neurological cause like transient ischemia but is unusual at your age.

Vasovagal attacks are also possible when you feel better when sitting.

It may also occur from anxiety or stress & you may not be aware of it.

Anemia or electrolyte changes can also be factors.

Heart conditions like rhythm abnormalities may also lead to those symptoms.

Thyroid disorder can cause changes in rhythm.

I would advise to get a thorough evaluation by an internist again.

Pl take plenty of fluid to keep good hydration, & have adequate rest.

You can need different tests such as EKG, blood metabolic panel, count, scan etc.depending on the physical examination by doctor.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience