kimo31
kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Family Practice resident.
14971955

Do you know anything about Plantar Fasicits

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  kimo31 replied 3 years ago.

kimo31 : Hello, what question do you have in particular regarding plantar fasciitis?
kimo31 : Plantar fasciitis Is caused by irritation and eventually contraction of the fascia lining the undersurface of your foot. If it progresses, It can be irritating or even debilitating
kimo31 : In brief, you can Treat this non-surgically with activity modification, stretching ( foot and your calf muscles ), foot orthotics, and anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen.
kimo31 : If you feel that your pain is worsening and/or not improving, I would recommend being seen by your primary care physician. They would likely begin with similar recommendations and potentially physical therapy before recommending any further interventions.
kimo31 : A good reference for further information and recommendations is a website that has been put together specifically for issues such as these by a group of orthopedic surgeons. The website is www.footeducation.com
kimo31 : I hope that I have been adequately able to answer your questions. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to write.
kimo31 : Please also take the time to rate this conversation as satisfactory or excellent, as this allows me to be paid for my responses.
kimo31 : My very best, and be well!
Customer :

ok

kimo31 : Is there anything else I can help you with in regard to your question?
Customer :

i can't afford to keep talking to you for 25 each time. I don't have the money. Yes, I had another question but I am not paying 50.00 dollars for something that you didn't help me with.

kimo31 : Is there something in regard to this question that you feel hasn't even answered? I would be more than happy to make sure you feel happy with my service. I would like to earn a positive feedback by the end of our discussion. Until then, you will not be charged. What other questions do you have?
Customer :

hold on

Customer :

It is normal to have stabbing and shooting pain?

kimo31 :

It is normal to have these pains, particularly if they are worse in the morning

Customer :

They are worse at night when I have been on them all day? Is it normal to have stabbing pains and it feeling like your ankle is going to give out sometimes?

kimo31 :

If the pains are becoming debilitating, it may be time to consult your primary care provider and potentially an orthopedic foot specialist

Customer :

My foot hurts more on my heal.

Customer :

I don't have insurance for all that. I have oasis shoes that are suppose to be working

Customer :

Hello

kimo31 :

are you still there Customer?

kimo31 :

Arch support is a good first step. Have you tried any of the other measures that I have discussed?

Customer :

I have the best shoes! Suppose to have the best shoes

Customer :

Do you know how I can get back to my inbox?

kimo31 :

Excellent. And these shoes just haven't taken care of the problem?

kimo31 :

I am sorry that I do not.

kimo31 :

In regard to the plantar fasciitis, have you tried doing gentle stretching exercises?

Customer :

no not really they were 165.00 plus dollars

Customer :

my heel is all swollen and doesn't come down with ibprofen or tylenol

kimo31 :

any redness?

Customer :

there was, its light red

kimo31 :

In truth, we haven't explored the alternative diagnosis aside from plantar fasciitis.

kimo31 :

Have you had a recent trauma to the joint?

Customer :

correct

Customer :

sprained ankle in like 02

kimo31 :

did you have imaging at that time?

Customer :

yes

kimo31 :

OK, so no fracture and that recovered well?

kimo31 :

have you had heel pain in the other foot?

Customer :

believe so

Customer :

not as intense

kimo31 :

what about the timing. Did it get worse when you got these new shoes?

Customer :

i thought they were better.

kimo31 :

OK. And it's a little red and very sore in the heel, one side worse than the other. Any tightness that you can tell in the arch of the painful foot compared to the other?

Customer :

my achillies tendon was swollen a few weeks ago but I don't know if it still is.

kimo31 :

was there an accident associated with that?

Customer :

not that I know of

Customer :

I just asked her to look one day and she said it was swollen.

kimo31 :

or a wound/sore in the foot anywhere?

Customer :

no

Customer :

I had my big toe cartorized along time ago but its healed.

kimo31 :

OK. Well I will tell you that while the pain is certainly problematic, I do not see a reason for an emergent concern. I would suggest seeing your primary care provider, which would generally be much lower cost than seeing a foot specialist. They will likely do an xray of your foot and check for things like bone spurs or other injury to the bone. They may also be able to identify if they feel the foot is infected, which would be a serious diagnosis, although based on our conversation I do not highly suspect this to be the case.

kimo31 :

If you feel that plantar fasciitis is the diagnosis and there is tightness along the bottom of your foot, then rest, stretching and ibuprofen is the initial treatment along with arch support. You have been doing this without significant improvement, which is why I suggest seeing your doctor for an examination of the foot.

Customer :

Okay I can ask her but, she just told me that I need to see a psychiatrist. Sometimes, my feet hurt and all I want to do is just sit down. although, putting in cool water feels wonderful!

Customer :

I doubt she will x-ray

kimo31 :

I understand completely! I hope that we are able to get to the bottom of this. Often times if you have a good working relationship with your PCP they will work with you collaboratively to get to the source of your concern.

kimo31 :

Cool water helps with things like swelling and inflammation. I feel that there should be a workup to investigate the cause of your pain if it is being caused by either of these.

kimo31 :

But this is also difficult to assess without being able to examine you personally, which is why I suggest coordinating all that we have discussed with your PCP.

Customer :

whats PCP

Customer :

never mind i know

kimo31 :

lol

Customer :

What could cause the feeling that my foot is going to give out?

kimo31 :

a ligament injury could cause this, typically after an accident or injury.

kimo31 :

Is there anything else I can do to assist you this evening? If you have had your question answered, I truly appreciate all positive feedback. I wish you the very best and hope that your foot begins to feel better!

kimo31 :

Customer, if your question is fully answered, positive feedback is the only way that I am credited for my service tonight. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask and I will be happy to provide you with the best service!