Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I recently had diarrhea and a very upset stomach. I spent the

Customer Question

I recently had diarrhea and a very upset stomach. I spent the weekend in bed and running to the bathroom. After a couple of days, I noticed by anal area was irritated (i.e. burning slightly like I had a rash). After a few more days I noticed a thin yellow vaginal discharge. It is not thick, not pasty and not foamy. It is thin. I am 48 years old and post menopausal. My last period was nearly 1 1/2 ago; however, on the first day of the yellow vaginal discharge I noticed a very, very thin red "blood stain". It has been 3 days and there have been no other blood stains. I've had the discharge for the past 3 days. It is not getting better or worse. It does not have any smell. My anal area still feels like I have a rash and so do my inner thighs. Is it possible that the diarrhea along with the lack of bathing when I was sick in bed caused me to have a rash in my anal area and inner thigh as well as a vaginal infection causing the thin yellow discharge?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, yes ,the rash is caused by the irritation loose stools produce on the anal skin .

There is no need to worry , your symptoms could improve following simple recommendations including :clean the area with warm water and soft toilet paper , you could apply petroleum jelly or a mild hydrocortisone cream which you can get over the counter not longer than 5-7 days , drink plenty of water and eat high fiber foods specially fruits , vegetables and whole grain cereals . Avoid irritants specially spicy foods and wear loose cotton underwear .

With the vaginal discharge , an infectious process is probably the main cause . At this moment , if you saw small blood stains even if you only saw them the first day a Pap Smear should be performed to investigate the presence of cervical cell alterations or dysplasia , other conditions will need to be investigated including : a bacterial infection like Gardnerella Vaginalis , STD's like Chlamydia or Gonorrhea, parasite infections like Trichomona Vaginalis or fungal infections like a yeast infection .

Your doctor will be able to determine which of these conditions is producing your symptoms after he performs a vaginal culture and a Pap Smear ,so he can give you an appropriate treatment.

In the meantime, maintain the vaginal area dry and clean , do not douche , use a gentle mild soap , eat unsweetened yogurt or get acidophilus tablets and avoid using fragrance ,powders and sprays in the area .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied .

Good luck to you and have a good day ! Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.

Hi Princess,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need any help just tell me.

Have a nice day ,
Dr. German