Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I got hit in the face today. Hit by hand or fist, I dont know.

I got hit in the face today. Hit by hand or fist, I don't know. Hit at the eye/bridge of the nose area. I got cut - a nice neat laceration across the top of nose. I never saw the wound. The two nurses at the school cleaned it with antiseptic and.closed it aggressively with steri-strips. Their theory: I was actually cut by my glasses. Was I cut by my glasses or the student's hand? I am concerned because the student's hands are always in his pants. Ugh. What should I watch for/worry about?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--just one question first--is the area tender, any bruising or the start of a black eye and when was your last tetanus booster?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Last tetanus was a few years ago - recent enough. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago.

Nose is swollen & sore but no black eye.

I can't put glasses in right spot so I am very queasy from messed up vision.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--just wanted to check that you hadn't broken your nose and probably you haven't but I'd still get an x-ray to check. Otherwise, nothing to worry about here whether it was you glasses or his hand that did the damage. If by chance the cut begins to get red around the edges or starts to drain then you might need antibiotics, but even then it wouldn't be a serious infection from a particularly dangerous bacteria.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Since I am only a seasonal employee I really don't have any background on this student. Suppose he has hepatitis or some other pathogen, am I at risk from that? Or, since only MY skin was broken and not his, is the only risk the infection like you mention? Thanks!
Dancing Fool

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No--absolutely no chance of getting hepatitis of HIV like this and I really don't think this is going to get infected anyway and it's most likely that your glasses caused the break in the skin since a hand blow usually wouldn't do that. Oh--didn't realize it was you. Knowing that, you really should put your two knees way up tight, swing 'em to the left and swing 'em to the right, dance around the floor kinda nice and light and do the Eagle Rock with style and grace........Ballin' the Jack basically cures all medical conditions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You crack me up! I really *do* need more medical non-emergencies so I have an excuse to come get a dose of Dr. Chip.
:-)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Any time Dancing Fool, just make sure I've taken my medications before you call on me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
:-)
I hope you took your morning dose 'coz I asked you a new question about lab tests.
My poor nose. Quite soren
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Didn't see any new question--what's up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When do you think I can gently peel off the steri-strips and peek? Tomorrow morning will be 48 hours. Should I let one of the nurses at the school do it? They could then put on more steri-strips if I still need them. There are no stitches in the wound. The two nurses thought stitches would be worse. They said the laceration was nice and clean, not jagged at all.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Leave them on until they are half self-peeled off or at least for five days.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks! It's quite the conversation starter and I look oh-so-glamorous. Had to postpone the photo shoot for the cover of Cosmo.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The steri-strips are kind'a' goopy and sticky, but not discolored. Nose still very tender. Sound normal? Or should nurse at the school check it? I head in to work shorrly.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Any swelling and goopy with what?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No additional or new swelling. Just the swelling from the blow. Goopy with something sticky. I don't know what. Do steri-strips get sticky & weird after getting wet? I have showered but avoided having shower water directly hit the wound area. The wound area has gotten wet but not with a forceful hit of water. (A gal's gotta wash her face!)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.

ALL STERISTRIPS TO GET FROM NOSE!!!! At this point they aren't really doing their job any more so might as well pull them off. So long as your nose isn't bent and you can breathe out of both nostrils as normal, no problem. It might take another couple of days to stop hurting.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks!