Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

do hives have to itch or burn

do hives have to itch or burn
Hi--first off can I ask why you ask?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My 4 year old has been Breslin out in hives some since the may tornados hit here in oklahoma
OK--what exactly do these look like and are you saying it's been a constant thing and they don't itch? Has a doctor looked at him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A doctor has looked at him and try think it may be stress related. It's not constant. In the last month he has broke ou 5 times.
OK but can you tell me what these look like and, again, no itching, burning, or pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Some are little welps and some are big. Red/pink no pain. He has broke out only 4 times in the last month.
OK. And in your opinion has he had an anxiety problem since the tornados?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know he is four
OK. First off, hives don't have to itch or burn or cause pain so there's a good chance they are just hives and it could either be anxiety or a true allergic reaction. There is a small chance that they represent an autoimmune disorder like lupus but only a small chance. My suggestion would be that he see a dermatologist about this, hopefully while they are present, just to determine that they are just asymptomatic hives. If he's otherwise fine from your viewpoint, then this will probably resolve soon but if he does seem to be suffering from anxiety it would be a good idea for him to see a child psychologist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Lupus? Really? Are there other symptoms he would be having?
I didn't say it was lupus, just giving you a possibility for a recurring rash like this. Fatigue, recurring fever and joint pain can be seen in children with lupus but sometimes they really don't have much in the way of symptoms except for the rash.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but not likely. wouldn't the doctor have mentioned that if they thought that

Probably he would have mentioned it and if he's otherwise just fine I see no reason to worry about lupus. Sorry if I concerned you but I was obligated to give you the differential diagnosis here and I can't examine your son.