911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

I have been on a clondine patch .02mg for several months. My

I have been on a clondine patch .02mg for several months. My insurance has recently changed and no longer covers the patch, so I am going the clondine pills .02 mg. Directions state to take one .02mg twice per day. My question is how to transition from the patch to the pill. I was suppose to change my patch today. I know that if this med is not taking correctly it can cause a rebond and spike my bp.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

great question

911Doctor :

are your patches 24 hour patches?

Customer:

no they are good for a week.

911Doctor :

i see

911Doctor :

then you may simply take the patch off when it is time to take it off and start taking the pills twice a day

911Doctor :

clonidine does have the potential for a withdrawal like syndrome

911Doctor :

but this is not at all likely to happen non matter how you transition, as long as you start the pills within a short time of stopping the patch

911Doctor :

the blood levels of clonidine will be less steady on the pills

911Doctor :

but you should not notice this at all

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

ok, now taking 2 a day is not more than the patch of .02 mg?

911Doctor :

no ma'am....

911Doctor :

the standard dosing

911Doctor :

for transdermal clonidine

911Doctor :

is 0.2

911Doctor :

are you sure you have your numbers correct?

911Doctor :

the oral dosing is also either 0.1 or 0.2mg by mouth

Customer:

when you say blood levels will be less steady. does that mean I will see more of a fluctuation. Yes sorry you are right it is 0.2 mg

911Doctor :

if we measured your blood levels on the patch and then on the pill the levels would be more steady with the patch

911Doctor :

whether this has any significance at all or whether you would notice it at all is a good question

911Doctor :

but you are very unlikely to notice any difference between the patch and the pill

Customer:

got it. I hiave a BP monitor so I will just monitor it.

911Doctor :

that's fine... but be wary of checking your blood pressure too much... if you see numbers you don't like your might get anxious and make the numbers even higher... if you do want to check it make sure you do it at the same time every day and try to do it only once or twice a day.

911Doctor :

make sense?

Customer:

absolutely, I learned that one the hard way.

911Doctor :

lol

911Doctor :

do you have any final questions for me?

Customer:

No thank you for your help.

911Doctor :

good. if you are satisfied with my answer positive feedback is always appreciated. should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with 'for 911doc only'. it was a pleasure talking with you. have a great night and be well.

911Doctor :

;)

Customer:

you as well. good night.

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.