911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I have been taking chantix for about 3 weeks now. This morning

I have been taking chantix for about 3 weeks now. This morning my eyes were extremely bloodshot and it had improved as the day progressed. Now my eyes are slightly red and sore. Is this a serious side effect that I need to see a doctor about? Is this a symptom of stevens johnsons syndrome?

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

This is not a symptom of Steven's johnson syndrome

911Doctor :

but it could well be a chantix side effect as conjunctivits is listed as a possible side effect

911Doctor :

no need to hurry off to a physician based on you rsymptoms today

911Doctor :

but it might be worth letting your physician know if this persists or becomes worse

911Doctor :

certainly if you were to develop visual changes, blurry vision or the like

911Doctor :

i would stop the medicine and talk to your physician

911Doctor :

but as it stands based on what you have told me i would continue with the medicines and hope that this is either unrelated to the medicine

911Doctor :

or a transient problem

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Is there anything I can do about the sensitivity to light? I use the computer all day at work.