911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

can I continue to workout if I have a cyst on my kidney

Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Yes, absolutely.

911Doctor :

No concerns at all.

911Doctor :

Renal cysts are benign.

911Doctor :

If you wish to ask me a question place your cursor in the box below, type your question, and click 'reply'.

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

can I still lift weights/ do crunches ride my bike it will not burst or cause infection?

911Doctor :

you can do all those things without worry. there are no precautions to be given for a simple renal cyst.

911Doctor :

your activity will not affect it and there is no risk of infection.

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

I have creantin of 1.4 and gfr 55 so even with the cyst and all that

Customer:

I can still workout?

911Doctor :

those numbers are fine

911Doctor :

though the creatinine is trending towards the high

Customer:

yes it ws 1.3 in December 1.5 in February 1.6 in may and 1.4 in june

911Doctor :

those numbers show that it is stable... a little variation from test to test is to be expected.

Customer:

the gfr has been between 60 and 50 during this time period

911Doctor :

again, stable... a little variation in the numbers is normal and doesn't mean much at all..

911Doctor :

you should have no restrictions based on the above on your workouts

Customer:

I went to a kidney specialist because my primary doc suggested it

911Doctor :

i see

Customer:

was in absolutetly necessary

911Doctor :

i don't understand

Customer:

did I just waste a whole lotta money for nothing

911Doctor :

no

911Doctor :

your numbers, creatinine and GFR are are not abnormal, but are close

911Doctor :

a kidney specialist was a reasonable thing to do to see if you could be in the early stages of renal failure

911Doctor :

it is very important to find this early if it is there to preserve kidney function

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

I had one specialist diagnose me with acute renal failure with out

Customer:

even running a test he just based it on previous blood results

911Doctor :

how can i help you today? your original question concerned a renal cyst and if you could work out. without your records i can not really speculate about the nature of your kidney issues, if any.

Customer:

I went to another one today I had ultrasound, blood work, and next week bladder ultraound

911Doctor :

again, how can I help you today? it sounds like you are being well cared for and that more than one physician is concerned about you and that they are doing appropriate testing.

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

does exercise help kidney disease?

911Doctor :

lack of exercise and untreated blood pressure or diabetes hurts, and you are more likely to have high blood pressure and diabetes (adult) without exercise. but exercise itself can not reverse kidney damage if it exists.

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

thanks for your help have a great day!!!!

911Doctor :

you too and be well

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician