Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Ive had a sore throat for a few weeks now and it looks as

I've had a sore throat for a few weeks now and it looks as if there is a cut on my left tonsil with a white spot on it (possibly food). It only hurts on the right side but it appears to be on both sides. What is this?

Hello Triston ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Was a throat swab taken?
Any significant past illness?
Any known allergies?

Is it possible for you to attach a photo? You can do it by pressing the paper clip icon?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had strep throat before but other than that nothing; no allergies and no swab.

I tried multiple times to attach a picture but it says I don't have permission to access this server....

Hello Triston,

Could you please attach the photo at file sharing site like and paste the access link here?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Triston,

This is most likely due to chronic tonsillitis which is mostly viral. Though a throat swab should be undertaken to rule out bacterial infection. A concomitant allergic inflammation is a possibility involving throat (pharyngitis) and tonsil. Warm salt water gargles (thrice a day), over the counter multivitamins and vitamin C are likely to help.

Following also should be considered for your symptoms;

1) Epstein Barr virus (EBV)-associated mononucleosis

2) Parapharyngeal space infections,

3) Peritonsillar abscess ("quinsy"), and

Quick swab for streptococcus may sometimes not able to identify the bacterial organisms so a visit to an ENT specialist and following investigations, should be done;

1) Throat cultures have been the "gold standard" for diagnosing GAS (group A streptococcus) pharyngitis and another pathogen, such as N. gonorrhoeae.

2) Blood counts

3) EBV virus antibodies

4) Indirect laryngoscopy (ENT specialist see the inside of the throat by a mirror).

If the throat culture is positive and counts show the infection, injectable antibiotics would be needed. Antibiotics of choice are;

1) Penicillin G plus metronidazole

2) Clindamycin

3) Cefoxitin

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.