Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I think this must be a back problem as I have also developed

I think this must be a back problem as I have also developed a numb right little finger... all around the same time... I went to my doctor who said she thought it was ostea arthritis developing but I am not convinced... I am very fit... Eat a healthy diet and have been paying privately for over 2 months for physio... This helps a little... what do you think?
Hi--can you tell me more about all that's going on here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What information should I give... I am 63 years old... used to run regularly until my knees played up... do three dance classes a week.. generally .. am a great believer in keeping going even in pain. use pain relief...given Naproxen by doctor but do not find it very useful. use paracetemol and ibuprofen which I buy myself instead. ofter use a freeze spray. hope that gives you some idea..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have just responded and got cut off

OK--but you mentioned both your back and your right pinky. How long has this been going on and where exactly is the back pain and do you have any leg pain along with that? Any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

several months... not really bothered about my finger just a bit annoying and think that is maybe a trapped unna nerve in my neck? More bothered about my back.No leg pain but do get referred pain in my hip... lumber region.

OK--with just the little finger being numb, yes that is a trapped nerve, either at the elbow level or in the neck, and I'd get MRI's of both areas to see where exactly the compression is. As for your back, you need an MRI of the lumbar spine to look for arthritic changes and disk problems. At this point, after those studies, I'd refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized treatment program to address both problems.