Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

I have had swelling and ear pain for a week now, it was getting

I have had swelling and ear pain for a week now, it was getting better I thought but im in so much pain ans my ear is swollen shut.. What do should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Which drop did you put in?

When did you take tylenol?

Did you consult doctor?

Are you taking any other medicine?

How old are you?

Do you have diabetes or any other illness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

itook Tylenol extra strength about 9, over the counter drops, I am26.No other medicines or medical issues

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information.

From your symptoms it appears that you are having an external ear infection.

It can be bacterial or fungal.

There can be some predisposing factors for it.

These include presence of water in the ear canal as from swimming or from irrigation, allergies, skin diseases like eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, injury to the canal from cleaning with swabs or other objects.

Wax may also trap water & makes the skin soft & vulnerable to infection.

These factors need to be searched for & taken care of.

I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.

You can need oral antibiotics.

Now, you can apply warm or heat that can have soothing effect.

You can take ibuprofen for pain.

It can help better than tylenol as it has antiinflammatory effect.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I grew up a swimmer and have had plenty of infections but never one to this degree.. i work at a pool so it is very possible its water in my ear... can the pressure of being in the natatorium for 6 hours affect my ear from heeling?...

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that the moisture there is aggravating the condition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it normal to have a ball behind the ear? ialso feel a large sensitive ball... thanks

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Which did the ball develop?

In exactly which part?

How large is it?

Is it soft, firm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the bone seems larger than usual and sensitive but right below the bone is about a pea size ball feels soft

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
There can be infection of the bone or overlying soft tissue.

The pea sized mass can be an enlarged lymph node or collection of pus.

You should not delay in taking an examination by doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful.. to.a doctor it is in the morning

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
You are always welcome.

If you are satisfied, please leave an excellent rating.

Good luck.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience