Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

my 26 year old son had a sore throat that didnt get better.

my 26 year old son had a sore throat that didn't get better. He finally developed a fever and started taking biaxon antibiotics they were prescribed for 10 days. His tonsil got pretty infected with white on them they were so swollen that he was unable to breath through his mouth. The doctor prescriped a steriod pack of predisone which he was on for 5 days. The swelling in is tonsils did go down. He still wasnt feeling himself after a week so he went back to the doctor. the doctor did blood work and a mono test . The mono test came back negative but his wbc was still high 18,000 normal range was between 7-11 thousand. He tought he was feeling a little better today and went to the gym but was unable to continue his work out because he got very neasuous. It is 8 days and his last antibiotic will be on Saturday. The doctor mentioned something about putting him on another course of antibiotic. My question is. Is it possible for his white blood count be hight because of the steriods? Does it usually take this long to recover from tonsillitis? Will it be necessary for him to take more antibiotic? As a child he always had a bad reaction to Biaxin it made him feel tired and mildly depressed. But the doctor will not change it and he is allergic to the pennicilian family. Thank you

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Did he have culture?

How is his pain in tonsil now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no cluture because he had started taking antibiotic. the pain in the tonsil has improved and the swelling went down

Thank you for the information,

Prednisone can cause rise of white cell count.

A bacterial infection can also cause the rise.

At this stage it is difficult to determine which one is playing the major role.

Both may contribute.

However with control of infection & discontinuation of prednisone, the count would come back to normal.

Depending on the severity of infection, sensitivity of the bacteria to antibiotic, it may take longer time to heal completely.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So basically the ill feeling depends how bad the infection was . Do u think it would be necessary to take two courses of antibiotic? He still has 3 1/2 more days 500 mg via in twice a day

Yes, basically the infection is causing the sick feeling.

He should take rest & avoid work out till he recovers.

Still there are 3 & 1/2 days' left.

It is early to predict & he can recover.

He can have an evaluation at the end of this course.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are always welcome.

Please do not worry.

I hope he will recover soon.

Good luck.