Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I just got the mri results back on my left shoulder in the

I just got the mri results back on my left shoulder in the mail. I have not talked with my doctor yet. Can you tell me how bad the tears to the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendon are and whether it can be treated without surgery. Here are the findings.
Bony Structure: There are no fracture or contusions present. The shoulder joint shows normal alignment. However, there is osteoarthritis noted.
There are cystic changes of greater trochanter associated with the rotator cuff tendon insertion.
There is reactive edema and findings suggesting capsultitis involving the AC joint. The bony supraspinatus outlet is not narrowed. The acromion is Type II morphology, that discloses lateral inclination.

Rotator Cuff: There is evidence of tendinosis involving essentially every tendon of the rotator cuff. Mild impingement is suspected, given lateral inclination of a type II acromial process. Morphologic distortion of the borders of the rotator cuff is seen, particularly involving the spraspinatus and the genu of the long head of the bicepts tendon consistent with tendinopathy related to a chronic inflammation, most likely. Mild loss of caliber of this junction of the sprapspinatus posterior band and the anterior bands of the infraspinatus is also noted, most likely related to microtearing due to chronic tendinosis. In addition , there is a moderate grade tear of the critical zone, involving the junction of both tendons, primarily the posterior bands of the infraspinatus tendon, that is consisten with partial tear. The tear has an average size of 12 mm in the coronal plane, and is best seen on the coronal sequences images 10 through 14.

Labral and Capsular Structures: There is a degeneration of the labrum associated with the arthritis. A degenerative SLAP tear is felt to be present in the anterior superior quadrat. (Grade I SLAP tear). There is no significant joint effusion present. No loose fragments are visible within the joint space.

Soft tissues: There is a small subdeltoid bursitis noted. There is no significant muscular atrophy or signal alteration noted.

Impression:

1. There are findings that are felt to be consistent with chronic tendinopathy, and the sequela of degenerative changes. In addition, there is a mildly complex, primarily articular surface tear of the posterior bands of the spraspinatus tendon.

2. There is myxiod degeneration of the labrum, associated with microtearing noted primarily in the anterior superior quadrant, where a SLAP tear is felt to be present.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

What are your current symptoms?

History of trauma?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Is pain unbearable?

Are you taking any medications?

Any history of Arthritis?

Any other medical history?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It hurts when I try to raise my elbow up to the side above about parrele to the ground. I injured it about 7 years ago tossing suitcases from the floor of the plane to the upper luggage rack. once it healed it still hurt, but had mostly the full range of motion. it really started to hurt and caused limited motion about 3 to 4 months ago. A sports chiropractor had me go through a range of motion with resistance and disagnosed a supraspinatius tendin problem. An x-ray showed calcification consistant with supraspinatus tendin. It hurts sometimes a night and I have to shift. The pain is unbearable when I try to raise my elbow and arm to high. I can raise my arm straight up without pain and can lift as long is my elbow is no elevated. I have been doing some exercises and that seemed to help the mobility.

No history of arthritis. No other join problems. I am taking levothyroxine 150 micro grams. My thyroid enlargeres without medication. My TSH and T4 are in the normal range.

Thanks for providing more information.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Well as you are suffering from last few years and based on your recent MRI, you have degenerative arthritic changes of the shoulder joint.

SLAP tear refers to the torn cartilage over the ball of the arm bone attached to the shoulder joint.

Besides that, the rotator cuff muscles supraspinatus also has been damaged.

This type of problem requires surgical intervention for proper repair and improve your range of motion at shoulder joint and elbow.

Cortisone injections can be tried before considering surgery.

I understand your concern regarding opting for surgery however it's essential to consider a proper treatment as if you leave it untreated then it can cause complete loss of movement and disability.

So make an appointment with your Orthopedist in next few days for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.