Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have ribs 8 and 9 broken with ugly fractures and mild displacement.

I have ribs 8 and 9 broken with ugly fractures and mild displacement. I also have the abrasion infected and it hurts a lot after almost 7 days. When I lay down I can hear noises from my ribs moving. Does this mean my ribs are moving and will not heal up? Is it normal to hear noise coming from the broken ribs? Do the ribs need to be surgically put together again? Thank you.

Hello Sylvia,

A small noise with the respiratory movements is normal with the rib fractures. Despite the movements; the rib fractures heal well as they are braced by the intercostal muscles. A fibrous union (soft union) happens in around 4-6 weeks and a bony union is likely to occur in 8-12 weeks in rib fracture. With two rib fractures; surgery is usually not required as there is high chance of spontaneous union / healing.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The noise I hear happens when I am trying to lay down or reposition myself on the bed --not when I breathe . It only happens with movement. And I can feel the movement in my ribs.
Sylvia,

With the movements the fractured ribs can move but it would not hamper the union of the ribs, as they are braced with the soft tissues and they do unite strongly. This is nothing abnormal and do happen in rib fractures.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it normal to feel lightheaded with this type of injury? I've been feeling lightheaded and it's not my blood sugar or blood pressure. This didn't happen before my injury. Thank you very much doctor
You are very welcome, Sylvia.

Lightheadedness is collectively due to;

1) Pain
2) Associated anxiety
3) Infection
4) Other concomitant medication conditions.