Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

recent ct scan revealed an "enlarged heart". Should I see a

recent ct scan revealed an "enlarged heart". Should I see a cardiologist? Is this something serious? Is this the reason I am feeling fatigued? Thank you

Hello and welcome, Sylvia.

An enlarged heart is termed cardiomegaly. This can occur due to long standing high blood pressure or valve issue or heart muscle problem. If the enlargement is mild, and heart pumping (ejection fraction) is normal; this is not likely to be serious or alarming. Fatigue can be due to heart enlargement, though there can be other reasons tooo like anemia or thyroid disorder. A cardiologist opinion would be usually recommended. Though, your primary care physician also can get the further evaluation like echocardiography (Heart ultrasound), which is likely to reveal the exact cause for the heart enlargement and its severity.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun