Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have been told that is very difficult to burn a persons skin

I have been told that is very difficult to burn a persons skin if they don't have clothes on that part of the body. Like the face or hands or feet. Is that true?
Hello Andrew,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

No, this is not true. Flames or increased body temperature would cause burn of any part of the body including face, soles and hands (and parts devoid of clothes).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you point me to a resource that backs up your answer?

Hello Andrew,

Please see this resource under the causes of burn;

http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/b/burns#textBlock193843

Sun burn too is a classical example of burn on the exposed surface:

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/sunburn

Burns due to Sun, warm oil or steam exposure on the skin are also the examples of direct burn due to heat. This is routinely and commonly seen in the practice.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We may be getting closer but I have an expert testifying in a court case that says that a person who is naked and drenched in gasoline and set on fire would probably not have burns. This answer is extremly important.

Please see these references, if these can help your case;

http://www.ameriburn.org/Preven/2001Prevention/Newsletter.pdf

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mmg/mmg.asp?id=465&tid=83

This is from the above;

Gasoline is a volatile, flammable liquid.

The hydrocarbons in gasoline are readily absorbed by the lungs, less readily absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract, and poorly absorbed by intact skin. Skin burns may result from prolonged contact with gasoline.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you get my last question about the expert?

There is a bug on the site, it seems. I got the question and I have answered it. Please let me know if you can see it; I am copy pasting it;

This is from the above;

Hello Andrew,

You have rated it poor service. Please let me know the reason, so I can further help you. Gasoline is an inflammable liquid and exposure on skin with the flame would cause skin burn.

I strive to do best for the customers here.

Best wishes and kindest regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I have an expert testifying in a court case that says it is unlikely that a naked person who has had gas poured on her and set on fire will probably not have burns. I find this unlikely. Maybe not everyone would but certainly most people would. I don't want to know what gasoline is made of or what just gasoline on the body does.
So, what the other expert in the court has testified is that if there are clothes on your skin, the burns are likely to be more extensive . I agree to that but this is seen only with particular fabrics like nylon which sticks to the skin badly when exposed to heat making the burn injury more severe. . However, without clothes the burns would be less extensive. in this case.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no he has not said they will be more extensive he has said the skin will not likely burn even if it has gasoline on it if there is no cloth material to assist. What I need is proof.ie. THe skin will burn when it reaches x temp and can burn quickly at that time even if there is no cloth. And I need the proof to back it up. Such as examples of mens arms, chest ,face who have accidentally or intentionally gotten gas on them and burned. THis has to happen when people are filling their lawn mower or tractor or something like that. Has no man ever burned in a swim suit after they have gas on them. Your tip will be greatly exagerated if you can answer this with proof

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just exactly what I was looking for. Are there any more out there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you this is what I was hoping you would find. Is there anything that you are using as a key to find these articles?

You are very welcome.

There was not very specific but I used face, sole, hands, gasoline burns, exposed body parts etc in various combinations.

In South Asia, gasoline burns are very common and petrol is very commonly used for homicide and suicide.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine