Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Hi please help as i do not know what to do and i feel awful,

Hi please help as i do not know what to do and i feel awful, i was diagnosed with suicidal depression sort in 2011 i was so low i wanted to end it all, i was put on fluoxetine 2 a day and within weeks i was fine and felt wonderful, last year the gp tried to get me off my tablets slowly but when i came off then i was awful again i tried to injure myself and was severely depressed so went back on them 2 a day, just recently my gp wanted me to try just 1 fluoxetine tablet a day, but i am starting to feel very very bad tempered and depressed, it seems as though i cannot do without 2 tablets a day, i just don't know what to do also which sort of depression do i have, people have told me it could be major depression or bi polar or manic depression or just chronic depression, please could u help thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Are you taking any medication now?

Customer:

Yes fluoxetine 1 a day

Dr Brims :

And it is not helping?

Customer:

No but 2 a day does

Dr Brims :

Okay, and have you discussed this with your doctor?

Customer:

no not yet i could really do with always taking 2 a day i ve definitely got some depressive illness

Dr Brims :

Okay, and may I ask what questions on this conditions I can help you answer or clarify?

Customer:

Yes is it dangerous taking 2 fluoxetine a day, would i be allowed to always take 2 a day

Dr Brims :

What dose are you taking?

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

20mg 1 tablet

Customer:

yes

Dr Brims :

Okay, taking 20mg twice a day is safe and may be the best dose to help you

Customer:

20 mg 1 a day

Dr Brims :

I think you should mention it to your doctor to make sure he is aware, but twice a day dosing of flouxetine is safe

Customer:

Uhhh marvellous i ll start taking 2 a day now and tell gp, thankyou very much

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Customer:

Any idea what sort, type of depression i got is it major depression

Dr Brims :

Yes, it is major depression

Customer:

Thought it was

is it a chronic condition and or serious condition

Dr Brims :

It may be chronic, but is usually easily treated

Customer:

no cure but treatment for it is that it

Dr Brims :

yes, it is treated and it may eventually subside

Customer:

it ll be wise for me to keep on 2 a day for a couple more years probably i ll discuss this with my gp i feel awful when i cum off them

Dr Brims :

Okay, yes, you should discuss it with your GP

Customer:

i thought taking 2 a day can cause heart disease but my gp says not

Dr Brims :

It cannot cause heart disease

Customer:

Thanks doc u have been very helpful and now i can start taking 2 a day again which i will be fine with thanks again

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions on this topic, you may click a rating button to end the chat session

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience