Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

I am having an MRI with contrast done. Approximately 26 years

I am having an MRI with contrast done. Approximately 26 years ago, I had an allergic reaction to IVP dye. Does this mean that I should not have the MRI done with contrast?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

No, this does not necessarily means that you can not have the MRI done with contrast.

But yes, this is a very very important piece of information that you should and must tell your doctor and the radiologist before the MRI is done.

Now a days many contrasts available have least allergic reactions.

But in your case, they may choose a more specialized, low osmolar, non-ionic contrast to be more cautious.

They may also choose to give you low dose of the contrast.

And they may also give you certain medications (to prevent an allergic reaction) before giving you the contrast.

All these measures are done to help you and prevent any reaction which may discomfort you.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.