Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

I woke up with dull chest pain and its also in my back a bit.

I woke up with dull chest pain and it's also in my back a bit. Usually it's gone once I get up and start moving around but today it's more persistent. I had one episode of Atrial Fibrillation back in 2009 and NO other issues since. Doc at the time told me it was a one-time thing, stress induced. This is the only other issue I've had in heart "area". Should i see a doc or does this not mean anything? It's gradually getting better as the day wears on.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Do you have palpitations?

Shortness of breath?

Dizziness?

Checked your blood pressure?

Smoking history?

Family history of heart problems?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No palpitations

No shortness of breath

No dizziness

Most recent BP check was about 1-2 months ago and it was normal

I do not smoke

No known family heart problems

Thank you very much for the useful information Chris.

Honestly, at this point i would say that the current symptoms are least likely to be related to your heart and most probably a result of localized muscle spasm, stomach problem (reflux or ulcers) or problems with the joint.

However, as per standard guidelines, any symptom that might be suggestive of a cardiac issue (arrhythmia or circulation problem) should be investigated at earliest, preferably at ER. Having an EKG done at ER will help you rule out that there is nothing seriously wrong and will put your mind at ease.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not entirely clear on what you are saying - are you saying it's least likely to be related to my heart - but any symptom suggestive of a cardiac issue should be investigated... but what you are saying is that the symptoms I'm describing do NOT appear to be related to arrhythmia or circulation problems - is that correct?

So if they are not related to arrhythmia or circulations - I should not worry that this is a heart issue in your expert medical opinion?

Thanks,

Chris

Hello again chris.

Sorry for a delay in response---- i had connectivity issues.

What i am saying is, that the current symptoms are least likely to be due to a heart problem, but there is still a remote possibility that this can be your heart.

And to rule out this remote possibility, you need to have an EKG done at ER.

I hope this clarifies?

Goodluck.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The issue has finally started to go away during the day - however I expect that in the morning it will flare up again.

Rather than go to the ER, I have set an appointment with a cardiologist tomorrow morning at 845. Since my symptoms for this issue always occur in the morning when I wake up, and today since they persisted for many hours - I feel like seeing him in the morning will give him the best chance to see what's going on - if anything.

Is this a good course of action?

Fairly good.

But i would still prefer an EKG from ER.

And this is what the guidelines suggest.

Good luck.