Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I am the director of a child development center in Oklahoma

I am the director of a child development center in Oklahoma City. We've just had a child returning from the Fourth of July break who is reported to have had hand, foot and mouth disease. We have another child in the same classroom who seems to have the same symptoms. I assume we need to send the sick child home and notify the parents but what else do we need to do? How long should the sick child stay out? Thanks. Mary Lue Eastmond
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, the most important preventive measures ,all your personnel should follow is washing their hands after they change diapers , use the bathroom and before they prepare meals .

You should also disinfect the whole area mixing one gallon of water with 1/4 cup of chlorine .

The children who are presenting symptoms should stay away for one week or they can return to the center when they do not have fever and the mouth lesions or sores are healed.

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied .

Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How about the lesions on the hands and other body parts? Do the lesions just need to be scabbed over or completely gone?

The lesions need to be scabbed , this usually occurs after one week , so after that period of time , they can return to the child center.

Good luck to you and have a good day !

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. And by the way, I just had a knee replaced by a Dr. German in Oklahoma City's McBride Clinic/Hospital. Great experience - must be something about the name!

You're welcome ,have a nice day !