Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Hi, I had my labs done one week ago. Im a little concerned

Hi, I had my labs done one week ago. I'm a little concerned about a disease I read about called "polycythemia vera" should I be worried??

My RBC was 6.48 normal: 4.20-5.80
My Hemotocrit was 52.8 normal: 38.5-50.0%
My Hemoglobin was 17.1 normal: 13.2-17.1
And my MCH was 26.5 normal: 27.0-33.0

I'm a male weighing at 289.00 standing tall at 6 feet.
Everything else was normal but these stood out on the test.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

What are your symptoms?

Why did you have the tests?

How is the count of WBC, platelets?

Did you have any other test?

Did you have any past illness?

Do you smoke?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My White Blood Cell count was 9.1

I smoke occasionally, but not cigarettes. I would smoke Marijuana maybe Three times a week. Not heavy amounts either. I decided to get the test because I just felt like I needed to. A few weeks prior to the test, I had some chest pain, but I think it was a pulled muscle, or anxiety. It only bothered me when I moved in certain positions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have acid reflux pretty bad. I've had my Doctor do an Endoscopy twice and he hasn't found anything. I' haven't smoked in about a two weeks. I noticed that when I light my stuff, and take one puff, I feel the effects really fast and kind of weird. Therefore I have stopped smoking since this has happened on the last few occasions.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any shortness of breath?

Did you have heart or lung ailments?

How is your blood pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No shortness of breath

I don't know about any lung or heart ailments

My blood pressure was 127 over 77 with a pulse of 66
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Chad for all the information,

Polycythemia Vera is rare before the age of 40 years.

It is more common in 50-70 years of age.

In polycythemia vera, other cells like WBC & platelets are also increased in most cases.

Your hemoglobin level is at the upper range of normal.

In polycythemia vera, the hemoglobin level is usually much more above the normal range.

Though your RBC, hematocrit are higher but I would suggest not to worry about Polycythemia Vera at this point.

Sometimes, automated blood reports can be deceptive.

However, I would advise to get it discussed with your doctor.

He can take further tests or direct checking of red cell mass, if he feels necessary.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time. I forgot to mention that my platelet count was 157.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
That is normal level.

It is not worrying.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience