Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have recently experienced the following symptoms immediately

I have recently experienced the following symptoms immediately following blowing my nose. Symptoms progress in this order - burning sensation in shoulders arms and palms, rapid heartbeat, throat feels numb, swallowing is difficult, pain in back, chest, stomach. I lay in bed until it goes away. What's wrong?
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

How long do the symptoms last?
Are you on any medications?
Any significant past medical illness or surgery?

Do you have known allergies and sinusitis issue?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had surgery a year and half ago to replace a ruptured c5_6 disc replaced with titanium disc. Have been on same medications for years, and have had allergies since childhood.

Your symptoms are suggestive of blocked Eustachian tube. When you blow the nose, the vagus nerve is stimulated and cause all of these symptoms. Dysfunction of the Eustachian tube can occur due to swelling of the mucosa in the nasopharynx (back of the nose) or in the Eustachian tube, which in turn may occur because of

1) infection or

2) allergy.

This swelling can impede the Eustachian tube function. Following medications are used:

1) Decongestants; Sudafed (over the counter)

2) Antihistamines; Chlorpheniramine (Singlet) has best result and available without prescription

3) Steroids; prescription drugs

A concomitant chronic sinusitis also may be present. Following would be the treatment protocol;

1) Nasal steroid; decrease inflammation and open up obstruction.

2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.

3) Topical decongestant for short duration.

4) Antihistamines

5) Steam vaporizer

6) Eucalyptus oil may help

7) Nasal saline irrigation

8) Vitamin C

9) Antibiotics; only if nasal culture is positive and there are signs in CT scan, which is recommended for the diagnosis.

For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (salt water) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. Following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the sinus infection / allergy;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.

2) Ginkgo Biloba

3) Zinc 30 mg.

You should also get an EKG and echocardiography for the evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.