Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My OCD thoughts make me think that by lifting up and setting

My OCD thoughts make me think that by lifting up and setting down certain objects affects my heart in a negative way but I know scientifically this is false and impossible. This has been happening when I set down objects like a glass or my cell phone or let go of my cell phone in my pocket. How do I reassure myself that this has no effect on the heart function by setting an object down placing it in my pocket and letting it go after setting it down? I am using skills with CBT therapy but this keeps annoying me on a daily basis. Any advice would help?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome, Kevin.

You have already taken a positive step. Understanding this that these actions are not affecting heart adversely is moving in the right direction in your medical issue. Please remember CBT is very important to think positive, so it may be sometimes annoying but it is foremost in handling the problem. So keep applying CBT whenever a negative continuous thought comes in mind of heart being affected. A strong will to succed is important and I firmly believe that you can overcome the problem permanently. So please be strong.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you Dr Arun for your continued support. Even when my anxiety increases my heart beating faster when OCD kicks in the best thing to do is to stop the activity of repeating picking up and setting down the object and do something else?

Welcome, Kevin. Yes, stopping the activity would be recommended. This would not affect your heart.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you Dr Arun also when I set something down like my cell phone or a glass I should not even think about the heart because there is no connection to the heart function and the outside body moving objects like this? Basically can I tell myself the heart is working separately and is unaffected by anything I do like what I described?

There is no connection as you have rightly understood. Yes, tell yourself that heart has nothing to do the activities you have mentioned.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you Dr Arun also can I tell myself the heart works involuntary by itself and I do not have to worry about it being affected or is there a better way of explaining how the heart works alone?

Very welcome, Kevin. Great about your understanding that heart is involuntary and autonomic. That is the best way to explain yourself.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hello Dr Arun I had a hard time today setting objects down like my cell phone and also in my car I have the problem of gripping the steering column several times before I exit my car. Are these behaviors also harmless to the heart and unaffected? Am I better off stopping these behaviors immediately when my OCD kicks in. Also regarding the heart function is it best not to think about the heart and just let it do its job. Thinking about the heart cannot cause any problem?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes Kevin. All these behaviors also are harmless to the heart and do not affect it. It would be better to stop them. Please do not think about the heart as it is autonomous organ. Thinking about it though do not cause any problem.

Please rate the answer for the credit. You may ask folllow up questions even after rating.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hello Dr Arun does closing doors like on the refrigerator or garage doors manually while looking inside have any affect on the heart or is the heart function also separate from vision in these cases? Also part of my OCD is touching repetitively objects and sometimes the heart beats faster from the anxiety. Is it safe to lower the objects down on the surface even though the heart beats fast and does this have no connection to the heart as well? I am trying not to repeat these actions to stop the OCD behaviors very hard.

Heart and vision are separate in these actions. You can lower the objects without being concerned about the heart. There is no connection.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you so much Dr Arun am I better off not to pay attention to the heart beating and checking pulse unless I am heavily exercising to avoid the OCD about the heart?

Yes, you are better off not to pay attention till you avoid the OCD thoughts about the heart.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you Dr Arun and my heart will function just fine without me constantly checking my pulse or blood pressure? I should probably put the blood pressure kit away and stop checking it every day?

Your heart will function fine without constantly checking pulse or blood pressure. Yes, you should put the blood pressure kit away and stop checking it every day.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I had a good time at a fest earlier however at one point I kept looking at a poster board that said cheez sticks $4 in big print and I kept finding it hard to look away but I actually did. Was looking at the sign and looking away then back again harmless to heart and is there no connection again to the heart in this situation of just looking back at a poster sign? I did limit my time to look at it then looked away.

No connection to heart, Kevin.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you Dr Arun so it was just anxiety I felt and nothing to do with heart by the brief staring and looking at the sign and walking away from it

Yes, it is anxiety.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Did I do good also by limiting the amount of time I looked at the sign? and again heart was not affected?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

When I start to stare at something like a clock in a room am I better off moving away from it to stop the OCD and again this has no affect on the heart?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hello again I had a follow up question regarding touching. Today I kept thinking if I pick up and set down a pen on a table and leave it that will affect the heart in some bad way. Is this just my anxiety and ocd sending me false messages? Then I was nervous about setting down a glass at the kitchen table because my heart was beating a little fast from anxiety. Basically does the heart function independently from the movements I described make and is this just false fears that I should ignore?

It is false message. Nothing to worry. The heart function's independently from the movements you had described.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you Dr Arun so when I set down a pen or glass I should not even think about the heart because there is no connection? Also should I not repeat the action to stop the OCD repetitive behaviors?

Yes you should think of the heart functions as there is no connection and you should stop the repeated OCD actions.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hello Dr I had some anxiety issue walking into my condo earlier this evening. As I walked away from my car I felt that if I did not look back so many times at my car that would affect the heart. Also after I looked back out the corridor window at my car I hesitated turning away for the same fear however I focused on something else and slowly turned away and walked up the stairs. Did any of this have any bad affect on the heart even though it was beating a little faster or was this just OCD and I should stop it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hello Dr yesterday I keep viewing an invoice bill on my computer screen and focusing on hyphen marks between certain words. My ocd made me do this repeatedly and the thoughts of it affecting my heart started again. What would be the best way to stop focusing on the hyphen marks on this bill and does this have no effect on the heart since vision and heart are separate?