A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

How often does medicare pay for abdominal aortic aneurysm screening?

How often does medicare pay for abdominal aortic aneurysm screening? also, Is this necessasary every 3 years if first screening was okay?

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

Medicare will pay for the screening once, when you get a referral for it during the "Welcome to Medicare" visit the first year you have Medicare.

You also must have a risk factor for an AAA to get the referral (i.e. a family history of AAA, or a male who has smoked at least 100 cigarettes in his lifetime).

If the first screening was negative for AAA there is no reason to have another unless you develop symptoms.

Best regards,