Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Im sad and my knee hurts

Customer Question

Im sad and my knee hurts
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--what's going on with your knee?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the last day or two its been hurting. But today it hurts even just lying in bed. Its the inside part if my knee. a while back the ortho dr said i have patellofemoral pain syndrome. He also said hed probably be replacing my knee in 10 years
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That usually only needs arthroscopic surgery and not a knee replacement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cartilage was thinning. But thats besides the point. My knee hurts
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand but really you know there's not much I can tell you about that--what's the real thing we need to talk about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, I'm done with the knee thing--just nothing to say but I'm sorry it hurts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are some questions i should ask the mayo dr
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Which one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gi one?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well from all our talks it seems to me that you tend to sit with a doctor and just nod your head without asking questions and then you leave not at all sure what's going on. So you need to start by saying that you've had this problem for a long time, you've had a lot of procedures and tests, you still suffer, something is still going on, the treatment so far hasn't helped much, and you need to know exactly what the doctor thinks and what he thinks is the problem and what to do about it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will i have to get scoped again in the near future to make sure my ulcer healed
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Can't say for sure but probably not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should i ask the psychologist
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not so much ask as demand--in a polite, nonconfrontational way--to get one on one therapy on a regular basis and that it needs to include everything we've talked about in addition to working on the--here's that term again--the eating disorder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i tell you something ive never td anyone else
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i was younger my older cousin was watching me and my other cousin. He made my cousin put his thing inside of me and rub himself on me with my older cousin watching
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
How old were all of you then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Me and my cousin were both maybe 6. My older cousin was 10 or 11
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Watching the two of you how exactly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like he stood there watching
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--thought maybe he'd been left to look after the two of you. Just one more thing you really need to share with a therapist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was babysitting us.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not a good age for a babysitter even if something like that didn't happen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Idk why i never told anybody
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Probably because you were too young to know about telling someone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for letting me tell you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for telling me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How is it that i have the worst luck. I get down to rochester and the place didnt have my reservation even though i had an email confirmation
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
S___ happens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She made me cry in the lobby cuz she was being rude
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
How so?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She told me that they dont lose reservations. An that there was no way i had them. I showed her my email
Conformation and she still insisted that they didnt lose reservations. And she said she didnt even know if they had a room
For me. Then when she found one she was going to charge me regular price and i told her that i wasnt going to pay regular price i was only going to pay the price that was quoted on my reservation slip. And she told me i didnt really have a choice if i wanted a room
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's not exactly rude
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was very rude. I told her i was going to talk to her manager and then suddenly everythig was ok
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Good for you--so everything's OK now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Good going
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do i always gotta cry when im frustrated
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not sure but a fair number of women do it--some men, too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it ok to lose 9.6# XXXXX 2 weeks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's too fast a weight loss for health even in someone who was on a weight losing diet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i took some lorazepam and am going to bed. I will let you know how tomorrow goes
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gastrin level not back yet. Starting me back on ranitidine and adding aciphex. Switched me from zofran to compazine. Said i need to be rescoped in the next 6 weeks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--did you at least ask all the questions about what he thinks the problem really is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep. He said either its from high gastrin level or like everyone else i have GERD and the meds arent working as well
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And did you tell him about the mistake he made about the purging? If it is just reflux did he say what needs to be done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did tell him about the mistake. He didnt say what needed to be done if it was just reflux. He said thered be more tests
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--and did he agree that he made a mistake?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes he did. So what do you think it is? Do you think its just GERD? He also said i need rescoping in 6 weeks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it's just GERD and we need to see what the gastrin levels are. I already told you I couldn't be sure if he'd want to scope you again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not lettin him do it. My gi dr from home said he would
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well that's fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also said that the path showed the gastritis was from NSAIDs but im not taking any. Im not sure that he believes me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You told him that? What did he say then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said it showed it was from nsaids. When i told him i dont take nsaids he said then my meds must not be working as good as they should
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--then he did believe you. Actually the biopsy report can't specifically show that it has to be from NSAIDs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He took me off the cholestryramine and my multivitamin
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Like I said, I really didn't see why your doctor put you on the cholestyramine in the first place. Also glad he took you off the Zofran
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think thr compazine 4 times a day is better
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You still only should take it when you really need it and I told you before you were being treated with Zofran for the wrong reasons and way too long and too much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The only teason he took mre pff it was because its constipating. But oh well. I just dont know how compazine is better than zofran
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, we've sort've exhausted the GI subject for now--anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have to meet with the psychologist. Turns out that the dietician i meet with is an expert in Eating Disorders
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what that means
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It means that i dont have to meet with the paychologist
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Still don't understand. All a dietician can do is give you pointers on what to eat--they don't specifically do therapy for eating disorders
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Idk what to tell you. Im sorry
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well you still need the type of therapy we've talked about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know. Do i have to talk about all the sexual abuse?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If you want to get well, of course. If not, then no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sucks! Do i actually gotta say what happened or can i just right it down
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Writing it down is fine but then the therapist has to read what you wrote
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its going to make me feel uncomfortable isnt it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Probably but we've talked about this time and time again--even if it does it's the first step in getting to the point where it doesn't bother you any more
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know that my therapist is capable of handling it. When i shared with him about my dad shoving things in me he got a shocked look on his face
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I've told you before I don't think he's at all effective or the right therapist for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know how to find the right one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gastrin levels elevated its 378. Normals under 100. What does that mean
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You could have a gastrinoma--an intestinal tumor that over secretes gastrin and causes hyperacidity in the stomach. It would explain why the meds don't help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You dont really think i have that do you? Im scared. I thought it would be normal. Its not overly elevated though
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't have to be that but it's possible. Also possible that you don't make enough stomach acid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So whats the next step? If you had to pick a reason why my gastrin level was elevated what woukd yoy pick. Be honest here with me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well the next step I assume would be a pH test and sampling of stomach contents to check and see how much acid you make. My guess is that you have atrophic gastitis and don't make much stomach acid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do they do that? I had a 24 hr ph and motility study. It said my ph is 4
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Normal pH--you're going to have to talk to the Mayo doc about what happens next then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now im scared. You nee to tell me its nothing tk worry about. And that its not a gastrinoma
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I can't tell you that because I don't know--all I can tell you is the possible causes for an elevated gastrin level.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You cant tell me its nithing to worry about? I thought we were friends
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You wan't me to lie to you and tell you something false just to make you feel better? Real friends don't do that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be a gastrinoma if its not that elevated
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't have to be but you really need to see what the Mayo doc says about it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I trust you. I am scared. What do you think te odds are that its a gastrinoma? I am freaking out an having a panic attack
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I don't think the odds are very high but the atrophic gastritis is much more likely
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i take lorazepam
Early
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you say the level is mildly, moderately or highly elevated
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not as high as normally seen with gastrinomas but moderately elevated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this prove that i havent been taking NSAIDs to get ulcers? If it is a gastrinoma whats the treatment
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does prove that but let's not get into what if's I have to go for now so let's close this page and get back to me when you can talk to the GI
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did not call me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then call him back or talk to your GI
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice