Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

My Mom had a brain anuerysem while in Florida at the 2013.

My Mom had a brain anuerysem while in Florida at the 2013. She is 73 years old. She had emergency surgery that included putting coils in her brain. She is worse now than when she was released from Florida. We are waiting to get into a specialist in Ontario, the wait is devastating. She was weak when she came home from Florida but she is getting weaker and now falling. Is this typical from someone who had this type of surgery? Could something else be going wrong? I feel that she isn't doing enough physio and she is having muscle wasting but my Dad feels that she has brain swelling or some other complication from the surgery. No one in the medical field seems to be moving very quickly and this is very upsetting as she is deteriorating very quickly.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

When did she have surgery?

Customer:

end of February 2013

Customer:

she was in Miami hospital for 3 weeks before being released

Dr Brims :

ok

Dr Brims :

And has she had any tests in the last 2 months?

Customer:

she had a catscan that showed slightly elevated brain fluid but only slightly. she left Miami in this state too. it wasn't high enough to put in a brain to stomach shunt at the time.

Customer:

scan test was about 30 days ago

Dr Brims :

Okay, I would recommend she have another CT scan, there may be more bleeding or swelling if her symptoms are worse, and this must be examined to make sure

Customer:

she can barely walk now and is very weak. she was a very active person before the surgery having her best golf game the day before.

Customer:

ok, if she has the scan and it shows that, the doctors will look after things. lets suppose it shows nothing, then what?

Dr Brims :

Physical therpy would also help, but the main thing now is to make sure there are no new problems

Dr Brims :

Then she should have a blood test called a CRP, to make sure there is no inflammation in her body

Dr Brims :

She should also have a test called a pre-albumin to assess her nutritional status

Customer:

they did a cretin test before the scan

Dr Brims :

The tests I mentioned above are not related to creatinine

Dr Brims :

Creatinine evaluates the kidneys

Customer:

so what would we do if everything comes up negative. she also has low thyroid

Dr Brims :

If there is a problem then the tests will show an abnormality

Dr Brims :

The low thyroid can contribute to her weakness

Customer:

those two tests plus a catscan are all these needs. I think her thyroid is ok

Customer:

sorry: all she needs?

Customer:

is this condition reversible?

Dr Brims :

A complete metabolic profile would also help, but those tests are the main things she needs

Dr Brims :

It is reversible if it is addressed early, if it is left to continue it may become irreversible

Customer:

are there any pharmaceutical medications that may cause this? To be certain I am not sure what all else she is taking?

Customer:

she has high blood pressure and takes cholesterol medicine. she is diabetic but controlled by diet

Dr Brims :

There are several medications that can cause weakness and somnolence, her doctor should review her med with her if you suspect medication, but that is unlikely to cause this

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr Brims :

Okay, as long as her blood pressure is controlled these would not cause her symptoms

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Dr Brims :

Is there anything else you would like to ask on this topic or anything I can help clarify?

Customer:

thank you