Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Have daily abdominal pain - seems to be coming most

Have daily abdominal pain - seems to be coming most of the time from large intestine. Almost every late afternoon will feel the pain which feels like severe gas pain - at bottom of left rib cage and will last for about 2 hours. Some days will feel it on the the right side of my body, and some on the right side. Gives me a mini flu like symptom also. Blood work is fine and endoscopy was normal. Cardio and lung function test all good. Diet has been super clean for 10 years - all fresh organic whole foods - nothing man made - drink plenty of quality water. Stool is normal looking and is daily around 12 noon. Pains usually start between 5 and 9 pm. Any ideas ??

Hello George,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Do you have bloating, gas, tenderness on abdomen, constipation / diarrhea?
Any previous abdominal surgery?
What did your abdominal CT scan show?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Minor bloating, not much gas coming out - but do have tenderness on front of abdomen - no constipation/ diarrhea - bowel is pretty normal. Have not had a CT scan - only abdominal ultrasound which was normal. No previous abdominal surgery

Hello George,

Following diagnosis would be under consideration;

1) A poorly functioning or non functioning gall bladder.
2) Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)

Following investigations should be able to clinch the diagnosis;

1) An HIDA scan which tells about the functions of the gall bladder.
2) CT scan and MRI of abdomen; which tells about the motility (movement) disorders of the intestine and IBS.

Meanwhile you may try following dietary measures;

1) Avoid

a) Cabbage

b) Beer

c) Legumes

d) Cheese

e) Beans

2) This may help;

a) Bismuth subsalicylate

b) Activated charcoal

c) Simethicone; (Maalox, Mylanta); Simethicone causes gas bubbles to break up.

d) Beano; contains an enzyme (alpha-galactosidase), which helps to breakdown certain complex carbohydrates.

All are available without prescription.

Avoid foods that appear to aggravate symptoms. These may include milk and dairy products, certain fruits or vegetables, whole grains, artificial sweeteners etc. But this is based on the personal observation for the aggravating food.

Discontinue the following if you do them;

1) gum chewing,

2) smoking,

3) drinking carbonated beverages, and

4) gulping food and liquids.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.