Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I had a bad fall where I broke 2 ribs 4 days ago. The place

I had a bad fall where I broke 2 ribs 4 days ago. The place where I hit a chair on my way down got real red but I just noticed is turning white. I know this is an infection. The area is about 3 by 3 inches. I am concerned it will go into my broken ribs and infect them. I put topical Polysporin. Should I go to the emergency clinic now or wait until tomorrow. Should I take oral antibiotics? Thank you so much for your reply. I trust you.

Hello Sylvia ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Where is the abrasion exactly located?
Is there increasing swelling, pain, tenderness?
Do you have fever / feverish feeling / body ache ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the abrasion is on my middle back. I have had severe pain since wednesday but I thought it was the broken ribs. No one in the ER treated my abrasion and I was lying on the floor where I fell on a wet floor. I do not have fever nor body ache, but since I have the broken ribs I don't want them to get infected. The pain has been an 8 most of the time since I had the accident. There was a CT scan taken yesterday because I had a distended abdomen, but the doctor told me the only thing they found was some fluid in my lung. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The abrasion is on my middle back. It's been very red and tender since the accident on wednesday. The ER people didn't treat my wound, only took x rays. I have been using Neosporin ointment, but just a while ago I noticed a portion of the abrasion is turning white and it looks infected. The pain has been constant for 4 days, but I thought it was the broken ribs. I don't want my ribs to get infected.

You are very welcome, Sylvia.

I am sorry about your significant pain and other symptoms. Oral antibiotics are recommended with an infected abrasion and fluid in lung after the rib fracture. The rib fracture can cause oozing of the blood in soft tissues like intercostal muscles, which can facilitate the growth of the bacteria / infection. So a trip to ER would be recommended now instead of waiting till Monday for the prescription.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have Cefdinir 300 mg and Augmentin 850. I just took Cefdinir 300. Could I take another one and wait till the morning to see the doctor? Thank you . I trust you.

You are very welcome, Sylvia.

Cefdinir 300 mg today is good enough. You may take the second dose after 12 hours and go to doctor in the morning.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun