Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I went to the dr last Wednesday because I had a pain in the

I went to the dr last Wednesday because I had a pain in the back of my throat and left ear canal that I thought was some sort of infection. The doctor checked my ear and throat and both were clear.the skin around the area was sensitive to touch so she thought I may have had Shingles that have yet to display lesions. I am a 39 year old female who had Chicken Pox as a child. She prescribed me the z-pack 5 day course of antibiotics as well as 7 days of Valtrex to treat it either way. antibiotics ended yesterday, 1 day left on Valtrex and pain has returned. Oddly enough it subsided while I was bring treated. It has moved a little further back now and is more behind my left ear and in my left jaw but no more throat...any thoughts? Thanks!
Hi. So no rash whatsoever as yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Correct, no rash at all.
And is any of this area tender to the touch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. There is a condition called zoster sine herpete which is shingles without the rash, but it can be difficult to diagnose without a blood test to look for the IgM antibodies. At this point, I would get the test and I would give you another two weeks of the Valtrex as a treatment. That said, this could be something called trigeminal neuralgia which is an inflammation of the trigeminal cranial nerve that courses along the areas of your pain. That isn't an infection but an inflammation of the nerve that is treated with Tegretol and it's basically diagnosed just from the symptoms and the distribution of the pain. At this point you need to revisit your doctor so he can decide the proper treatment course
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for the info. My grandmother had trigeminal neuralgia so bad she had to have surgery. I will contact my dr again tomorrw. Thx again!