A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My sister just had a panic attack while we were flying from

My sister just had a panic attack while we were flying from Italy back to our country Lebanon. She had a panic attack (for the first time in her life) in the airport. She had her panic attack 2 days ago, and now she's a bit scared from taking her life back again. By that, i mean she's a bit hesitating to mix up with people. She doesn't want to go out as usual. She is afraid from traffic jam and from her work because both traffic jam and her work are full of stress. I'm sure my sister will be fine very soon but my question is: how should i deal with her while she's in this situation? For ex: sometimes she asks me: "i have to go out to attend a meeting but i don't feel i can do it!" Here i find myself unsure about what to do! Is it better to advice her to push herself and do what she needs to do or is it better to tell her not to stress herself and just relax and if she feels not willing to do something than just not to do
it! I'm just not sure how to deal with my sister!
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever is in my power to help you.

It's best to have her resume her life as close to normal as possible as soon as possible. She should also visit her primary medical provider and let him or her know what is going on. There are medications (propranolol is one) that can be prescribed to be taken prior to a meeting, etc. that will lessen her anxiety and help avoid panic attacks in situations that might cause one. Actors and musical performers use medications like these to help with stage fright which is one kind of panic attack.

You can also encourage her to practice meditation and take some exercise each day to help reduce her stress levels. If these suggestions don't help, she may benefit from a referral to a counselor who can help her manage her anxiety.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the tips u gave me such as the medication, meditation and exercise and Dr's visit....This is all related to my sister directly.

My concern is more about what's related to me. What should i do whenever she is hesitating of doing something important to her? Should i encourage her to do it? Should i push her to go and attend a meeting? Or is it better not to stress her and ask her to do something she's not ready to do it in the moment? I'm not sure about my standing point! My common sense tells me to encourage her but maybe she's fragile at the moment and maybe it's not a good idea to stress her about doing something! This is my concern. I hope i was able to express my point?

Yes, you should encourage her to do as much as possible. I wouldn't nag her to tears, but a gentle and consistent push is sometimes what a person needs. The longer she refuses to do the things she normally does, the harder it will be for her ever to do them again. The worst-case scenario is someone who is afraid to leave their house to walk to the corner for a cup of latte, or even to go to the market for groceries.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist