Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

What would cause ears to be red and knots the size of a nickel

What would cause ears to be red and knots the size of a nickel behind the ears? Knots hurt to the touch.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I am an ENT specialist and can help you with this. Would you like to chat on this?

Customer: Doctor my sons Asian girlfriend dyed her hair yesterday and last night noticed her ears were red and and swollen and a nickel size knot behind both ears that hurts to the touch.
Customer: No our no fever
Customer: no pus
Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is likely to be due to irritation from the dye

Customer: could this be the mumps?
Dr. P. Jyoti :

are the knots on the ear itself, ie, on the cartilage, or behind the ear, on the skull?

Customer: Behind the ears
Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

these are enlarged nodes

Customer: they look like boils in a picture
Dr. P. Jyoti :

the dye has caused irritation of the pinna and also caused enlarged nodes

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is not mumps

Customer: ok
Customer: what should she do?
Dr. P. Jyoti :

best is to see a doctor for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

she may require an antibiotic

Dr. P. Jyoti :

for now apply cold sponging to the ear, this will give relief

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if you have 1% hydrocortisone ointment, or this can be got OTC from the chemist, apply on the ear, this will bring down the inflammation

Dr. P. Jyoti :

usually the nodes should subside in a day or two with this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

however, if they persist, or if you notice that they are further enlarging..

Dr. P. Jyoti :

or if they become painful, then she has to go to the doctor immediately

Dr. P. Jyoti :

even to the ER if necessary

Dr. P. Jyoti :

she may need antibiotics

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but first you can try with home treatment and monitor for a day

Customer: ok thank u doctor
Dr. P. Jyoti :

but remember to go to the doctor immediately if symptoms show any signs of getting worse

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Thanks.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Hello Sonja,

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer a few days back.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, that is very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.