Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience:  Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)
16101430

Hi. My middle finger on my left hand is swollen and discolored.

Hi. My middle finger on my left hand is swollen and discolored. No pitting. It came on yesterday after throwing and catching a football for about an hour. This has happened once before at work, where I was sitting at a desk doing things I usually do standing up. It appears exactly the same. I have no health conditions and I am vegan. I am also an athlete.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Amir Javed replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for thr question and coming here. I would like to say that swollen finger with discoloration can occur as a result of injury and there is possibility or risk of minor fracture and this should not be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly. I will highly advise to see your physician or preferbaly visit ER for complete evaluation and x-ray which is important to rule out fracture. There may also need to have some tests full blood count, c-reactive protein, d-dimer and doppler scan of arm to check if there is any concern about circulation. I will suggest to take Tab. Motrin or Tylenol for pain relief available OTC.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either 2 "poor service" or 1 "bad service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. My goal is excellent service which is rating 5. Rating of 4 or 5 is highly highly appreciated as this is the only way we doctors can get credit here. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience: Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have broken many of my fingers and I'm not terrible concerned about it. It's a holiday weekend in the United States and If I go to an ER with anything less than a detached limb I will do hard time there on a sunny day. Fracture makes the most sense. I will not be doing any radiographic scans of my arm to rule out a circulatory problem as I do not have any nor have I had any circulation issues. I'm pretty convinced that this is an injury, very likely induced by carrying a guitar case and water bottle with the same hand. Thanks for your answers. You get a Gold Star,

You welcome and thanks for the comments. Yes this seems to be more likely as I mentioned due to injury and possibility of fracture that's why x-ray hand is important and evaluation by physician ASAP preferably in ER. I wish you best of luck.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.