Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Im having a hemorrhoidectomy using a harmonic scalpel on Thursday.

I'm having a hemorrhoidectomy using a harmonic scalpel on Thursday. I'm recovering from strep throat/peritonsillar abscess. I've had 5 children. I currently have gallstone attacks a few times a year. My kids range in age from 7 to 14. What are the best medications to manage the pain? Is being Group B strep positive or my current strep throat an issue?

Hello again, Thank you for your question, When will the treatment for throat infection finish? How are you feeling now? Are you asking about medicines for throat pain?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since when are you getting the treatment for strep throat? - I was on Cipro on June 24 and switched to Macrobid on June 27 for a UTI. I started feeling an aching pain on my right side of my throat and swollen nodes. I thought it was my body working to fight the UTI. On July 3rd, I found large pockets of exudate on my right tonsil. I went to the doctor again and they did a rapid strep test. I started taking Keflex. I didn't get better. I went to the ER today. They diagnosed peritonsillar abscess and I had Azithromycin/Zithromax, Toradol, and steroids intravenously today.

When will it finish?
I have four pills of Zithromax; I'll be done with the antibiotic on Wednesday, the day before surgery.

How are you feeling now?
Remarkably better. Some pain on swallowing; some ear pain; some malaise; a very slight headache. About 100% better than when I entered the ER.

Are you asking about medicines for throat pain?
No, medications for post-op hemorrhoidectomy. I was given morphine by IV once for gallstones - no effect. Vicodin - doesn't work at all for me. I had Demerol prior to an epidural for my first child and it had a bit of pain reducing effect. Norco makes my head feel like its going to explode, but it doesn't seem to reduce pain. Endocet worked better than Vicodin when I was pregnant and dealing with extreme thrombosis pain from prolapsed circumferential hemorrrhoids. I can also not feel the effects of alcohol. Am I potentially not responsive to pain killers? I've never tried fentanyl or oxycodone. Could edible medicinal marijuana assist with pain relief?

Thank you for the detail information,

It seems that you did not get enough relief with opioid group of pain medicines.

Harmonic scalpel hemorrhoidectomy causes less pain & bleeding.

Injection of local anesthetics during the surgery will help to reduce the pain during the immediate post operative period.

Usually long acting local anesthetics are used.

In addition local care care like sitz bath, keeping soft stool with fibers will help a lot.

Then need for pain medicine can be evaluated.

Marijuana will not be required.

Throat infection when treated adequately usually do not have effect on the hemorrhoidectomy.

You are feeling improvement too.

Still when the antibiotic will be finished just before the day of operation, I would suggest to have a talk with your surgeon on Monday or Tuesday.

He can have an evaluation before hand.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am very satisfied with your response; however, even the surgeon has told me to prepare for "excruciating" pain for approximately 10 days and potentially much longer. He advises that there will be a 6 week recovery period. I appreciate his candor as it is better to be prepared than taken by surprise. I have given birth to 5 children and suffered from gallstones, but the internet accounts of post hemorrhoidectomy surgery are terribly disconcerting. At least childbirth and gallstones don't last a week or more! I will discuss the throat infection with my surgeon as well as my concern regarding post-op pain relief. Thank you.

Hemorrhoid pain can be excruciating. But with this procedure the pain is less than other previous procedures.

Usually it takes 2-3 weeks for a recovery.

The surgeon has given you a wide range so that you would be well prepared and will not get frustrated.

I will pray for your early recovery.

Best wishes.